Has anyone here ordered from Shadowood this year?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I ordered some iris from her and still don't have them. The check I mailed in June, has still not been cashed.
I never got an order confirmation. She never called to let me know she even got my check. I have sent two emails this past week and left two messages on her phone. Still no response. When I call, no one answers the phone.
Is it possible I will ever see my money again or get the plants?

I'm glad it was only like $30 or so.

:(

So has anyone else got anything from her yet?
any advice?

Gainesville, TX

sry for your problem. I just jumped in here to tell you.....I LOVE your Dave's name

oh, well thank you!
I'm really frustrated with my iris order. She is a DG member, or was? But I see not reputable :(

Gainesville, TX

Some times bad things happen to good people. Maybe she will have a heart change and let you know what's going on with her. At least she didn't cash your check. That's a blessing.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Laurie is a really nice person, and I consider her a good friend. I haven't heard from her in a long time. Last I heard she was having a lot of problems with her animals, who are of utmost importance to her.

She hasn't answered my emails, and I really would like to hear from her. This is very unlike her, and I must believe something is seriously wrong.

If she didn't cash your check since June, I would believe she's not going to, but you could always do a stop payment. But I guaranteee Laurie is not holding your check to cash in the future and not send your irises.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Early in the season I had also emailed her about when she was going to start taking iris orders and she never responded to my email through her website or through dmail here on DG's. I took my large order to Superstitition when I didn't get a reply.

FrillyLily, call Rick or Roger at Superstition...I bet they would honor your order.
I just receive my order from them and I cannot praise them enough....they are top rate in all areas.
Just put a stop payment on your check.

What bothered me the most about not getting a reply from her was that I saw her posting here on the board after my email and dmail to her.

I value customer service for to me it is a very big part of the sale.

Nana3

Well I never got a confirmation after my order, or even a call, nothing. But I did call her several times and got ahold of her once. She seemed very nice, and assured me that she would take care of everything. She just said that her horses? had been sick and was taking alot of her time. I assumed by fall that would be taken care of and that she was just behind, so I went ahead and mailed the check to her. Now, I don't know what to do. It isn't the money, per say, but more that I didn't get the plants I wanted, and some of them my mother went with me and ordered together.
I can't put a stop payment on the check, because the bank charges a $30 fee for that. I doubt she would hold on to it this long and then cash it... but how do I know. Just a simple phone call would have been nice, just to tell me she couldn't fill my order, how hard would that have been...
If I don't hear something from her by the end of the month, I guess I will order them from somewhere else, and mail her a note to cancel my order.
The trouble is finding all the plants I wanted at one place, that or if I order from several places I have to pay shipping more than once. Shipping is sure not cheap anymore.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

I thought I remember a post from Laurie from back in May about her having a lot of issues with her iris this year due to the weather. ?? And that some of the hearty irises had had a tough time.

I ordered from her last year - late - and she was very responsive. I certainly hope everything is okay with her.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I ordered from Laurie this year and paid her through PayPal I believe. I got the order pretty promptly as well. I'm not sure what to tell you. I got my Iris around mid-July.

Carlos

Allentown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have the same problem, I sent a check and my list 3/22/09. Had not worried about it until recently and went back to see if the check had been cashed. It had not. I tried to use PayPal for the order but couldn't seem to get it to work. (That was in March) which is why I wrote a check. I knew that her irises would bloom later and I would get them later because of the zones. She really had a couple that I have not been able to find elsewhere and I missed digging the ones I had when I moved. :O(( bummer

Maybe she'll post here so we all will know why we are getting out irises????

CHA I am so Jealous LOL
just green with envy.
well I guess I can't MAKE them show up in my mailbox lol so I will have to plan to find them elsewhere it looks like.

Here is what I ordered.

Advance Design
Leprechan's Delight
Serenity Prayer
Being Busy
Chanted
Blue Eyed Blonde
Concertina
and Orange Tiger

when I contacted her earlier this year, she assured me she could get all of those for me.
and now.... still waiting. :(

so if anyone has any of these for trade or sale, please let me know.
I could trade daylilies, or pay postage.
I would appreciate it.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

I, too, am concerned that Laurie is having some serious issues. This is so unlike her. She is a very honest person. I sincerely hope that she is OK and that everything will work out well for all of you and for her. I'm sure she will not cash your check if she is unable to fill your order.

I ordered from her last year -- the service was top-notch.

In regard to Rick and Roger at Superstition -- I also recommend them very highly. I ordered from them for the first time this year. They are super nice people to work with, and their irises are very healthy. Mine began to grow practically the minute they were planted! If you need to know their email address, send me a dmail.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

It looks like she's okay http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1024267/

Baton Rouge, LA

Just a note if you are interested in ordering from Superstition. Tomorrow (August 15) is the last day to order from them this season.

Gainesville, TX

do they have a web-site? I couldn't pull one up

South Hamilton, MA

Superstition web: community.webshots.com/user/rickt103 e-mail: randrcv@sierratel.com

I discovered another email address on her website, so I decided it is entirely possible that I have been emailing her at an address that is no longer working.
so I'll re-try that!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Why don't you just dmail her? http://davesgarden.com/members/laurief/

I didn't do that yet, because I haven't seen her on here for awhile. So I didn't know if she would get it.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

She posted a couple of days ago. If she's not getting your emails, then it's possible that it's an email address that is no longer active.

Sharondippity, the website is only to view their pictures. They sell many irises that are not pictured on the website. Their pricing is very reasonable. Some rhizomes as low as $3 to $5 range. Email your list to them, ask for a quote and then mail them a check. I'm sure they'll accommodate you if you act quickly. They're very good at responding promptly to emails.

Gainesville, TX

thanks Fig......They have some beauties. I"ll remember to order from them next season, I have 60 or more to get in the ground yet this year...too many iris, too little time

I know what you mean. I've got over 30 potted up and must get them in the ground very soon.

Stratford, IA

Well sorry to say but 2 more orders to Shadowood have went unheeded. They were both sent early this year.

well did you get your money back?

I still don't have my check back :(

I mailed her a letter, sent an email and two more phone messages over a week ago.

no response.

She will not even let me know what she did with my check.

Something's gone awry -- just not typical of Laurie.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutely not typical of Laurie.

I hope someone can find out what's wrong and let us know.

I know FrillyLilly and others, you aren't that familiar with Laurie, but just to show you why we're worried about her--- Laurie has been a member here since 2003, and has devoted most of that time to helping out on the iris forum. She has contributed over 1200 pictures to Plant Files of irises, mostly medians. When I first started on the iris forum, she helped me tremendously, answering many of my questions. I dare say, she has answered hundreds of questions for people on the iris forum. When I decided to open an internet business, Laurie took a tremendous amount of time to help me, and encourage me, even calling me on the phone to offer advice. We've talked about personal things, and she's always been a good friend and very encouraging, and I've never even met the lady in person. Her business ratings have always, up until now, been exemplary. Somethings wrong. And again, I cannot believe she will hold your check and cash it. I know it's upsetting to have a check out there that someone might cash, and it's ridiculous to pay bank fees. But something is wrong with Laurie's life, it's not that she is a shyster like some of the companies we deal with.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2009 12:08 AM

Baton Rouge, LA

I echo what Polly has written here. When I was researching different cultivars and getting started with beardeds for an iris experiment a little over a year ago, Laurie was a huge and enthusiastic help to me. I cannot count the number of wonderfully informative emails she sent to me offering assistance and advice. She offered photos for an educational iris endeavor I was putting together as well. I have no idea what's caused this recent change, but I do believe her character would not lead her to do something dishonest with anyone's check.

I agree with you, Polly and BlissfulGarden, nobody could have said it better. I've learned so much about bearded iris culture from Laurie just from visiting this forum. She's always been so super generous with her time and expertise. I ordered irises from her last year and I could not have asked for better service from anyone! Sometimes you just know honest people when you encounter them. Laurie is one -- and I would trust her implicitly. Something has indeed gone wrong in Laurie's life. I sincerely hope that whatever the situation may be, that it gets resolved for her. If there's something we can do to help her -- I hope she will let us know.

well she has found plenty of time in her 'something gone wrong' state to post on DG very lengthy diaries about her new kittens.

But somehow she cannot spend five mins to call me.

She may not be 'dishonest' persay, but she sure is shady, taking orders and then ignoring people. I could have ordered them somewhere else earlier in the year and had it taken care of.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Filly, I don't know Laurie at all, but she obviously has been a good friend and businesswoman until now. Give her a little time and I have confidence that she will do the right thing in your case. I realize she should have already communicated with you, but who knows what is wrong in her life. Bear with her.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

FrillyLilly,

Please understand I am not trying to diminish the problem you are having at all. It is obviously very frustrating, and upsetting not knowing if Laurie is going to fill your order, or cash your check. I would think at this point she is probably not going to fill your order. I also doubt she is going to cash your check. I would be upset with any vendor that did not follow through also. So please, don't think we are trying to say you should not be concerned or upset about this.

That is one part of the whole thing.

The other part is simply that many of us who know Laurie and care about her are concerned with what would cause this to happen. It is so out of the norm for Laurie, and we know something must be wrong.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I echo your concern. I have ordered from her in the past, and she was very reliable and helpful. She answered my iris borer questions ad nauseum. So when I didn't get a response to my order from her this year, I thought she must be on vacation, at first. Eventually I looked up her profile to see if she is still posting on Dave's Garden, and I found recent posts to a different forum; a word-change game or something like that.
I know that we sometimes face unexpected tragedies in our lives, and are not able to keep up with everything. When my son died I did only what I absolutely had to and distracted myself with jigsaw puzzles for a couple of years.( I don't know if this has any relevance to Laurie's life but life can sometimes throw you zingers.)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Amen, caitlinsgarden. Something has to be wrong. I suspect we will find out in time what is going on with Laurie. I, too, have had times when tragedy struck and I couldn't do anything for some time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.