Snack mustard and so so so much more

Pine City, NY

TRUST ME... once you make this your friends will be begging for more! I have so many people asking me "when are you making mustard again? I'm out!" lol

I usually make a double batch at a time but your first time I would stick to a single batch. I always (can) this a certain way for years and have never had a problem with any going bad.
Fill your sink with hot water and start warming the canning jars your going to use.
Fill a large pot with water and turn the heat on "eventually it will boil when you are done making your mustard" I dump this on top of my warming canning jars in the sink right before I start canning to really make em hot for the lid to seal.

Between the heat of the boiling mustard and the boiling water dumped on the canning jars they seal every time air tight. There is enough vinegar in the recipe to prevent any bacteria from growing otherwise :)

Ok, here it goes, hope you people enjoy and share!

---2 C FINLEY CHOPPED HOT PEPPERS (leave some chunks if you want, as well as some seeds) -------"any hot peppers you wish" I usually mix and match a bunch so that my mustard is a fun color. If you use all green hot peppers, you will a greenish tint :)
--1 TBLS SALT
--2C YELLOW MUSTARD
--1C FLOUR
--1.5 C WATER
--1 QT. CIDER VINEGAR
--6C SUGAR --yeah I know its alot.. but trust me :)

In a large pot add your peppers ,salt,yellow mustard,vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. As that is starting to boil in a separate bowl mix together your flour and water and wisk to a nice paste. Once the mustard is boiling, SLOWLY add the flour,water paste while whisking and watch it thicken up as you stir. Once its the desired thickness you can simmer for about 10 min. While its simmering dump the large pot of boiling water on your canning jars. Once they have been subjected to the hot water for a few minutes start canning away! I have never really made a single batch so I don't know how many quarts it makes.. but I'm assuming about 6. There is usually a little left over that I stick in the fridge to enjoy later :)

I have used this mustard with pretzels , cheese / crackers and even marinade/BBQ meats! So versatile and so good! on Hot dogs and sandwiches even fried fish! :)

Hope you enjoy and lemme know if you make it and like it!

-Dave

One more thing.. if its not hot enough for you add a couple tablespoons of ground cyan pepper! But.. watch out! :)

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 4:26 PM

Thumbnail by cptspanky
This thread has 296 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!