What the heck are "chinch" bugs??

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 4a)

The Spring Green people left a note that "you have chinch bugs in the lawn. Cost of application is $125." I thought they were aphids because they're around the shrubs/bushes I have to attack with rubbing alcohol added to the soap and water spray (I read the "Help, attack of the aphids" thread) Comments, please!

Sinks Grove, WV

Chinch bugs (Blissus leucopterus ssp.) can be serious turf pests - see http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2503.html for a detailed fact sheet.

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks, suunto--going to have the Spring Green people lay down insecticide--they'll be here the beginning of next week--the detergent/water/alcohol spray for aphids is working to cut down on the numbers, but I can see myself spraying on a regular basis.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I have some doubt that you are experiencing chinch bugs around your shrubs. Chinch bugs are usually in areas where it is hot and dry - areas where there is a reflection off the driveway or road that ups the level of hot and dry. Too many times it is just accepted that it is chinch bugs doing the damage because it is a lawn problem. And if it is, it would cost you less than $10 to get rid of them yourself. Do you have a Cooperative Extension Service nearby? They are trained to diagnose lawn problems (and chinch bugs is an easy one, because they can be seen) and lawn guys are trained to sell their services - at inflated prices.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

To test for chinch bugs, remove both ends from a tall can, such as a tomato juice can, and sink it into the ground to the depth of the grass roots. Fill it with water until it stays up to the top of the can. If you have chinch bugs they will float- google to see what they look like. Good luck.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Add a couple of drops of soap to that water.... Chinch bugs are very, very small - about the size of ants. I use a coffee can.

Fond Du Lac, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks, ceejaytown and JoParrott! I'll call the Extension Agent right away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.