questions on some crepe myrtle bushes

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a whole row of crepe myrtle bushes along the front of our property, they are so big and bushy that I can't get anywhere close to them with the riding mower. What I'd like to do is make trees out of them. Is that possible? trimming the bottom limbs off to make them look more like trees? These bushes are 7 foot tall maybe taller, and 6 foot wide. Their huge bushes. but the limbs hang all the way to the ground. I'd like to prune them as soon as possible. When would be the best time. Their blooming now.

I also have one other question.

I use to have them planted as white, pink, white , pink, and now their ALL white flowering. Which is ok, but I didn't realize that the pink ones would turn white like they have. Thought that was kind of strange.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

We have crepe myrtles here, and most of the people/businesses with them do exactly what you're referring to in terms of trimming the lower limbs to make it more of an upright "tree" vs. a bushy shrub.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

When is a good time? now while their blooming? or right after their finished.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

That I cannot answer for you, as I don't own any myself. I'm sure someone will be along in no time with an answer for you, though.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure technically speaking what the best time of year is to prune them, but personally I'd probably wait until they're dormant and have lost their leaves, that way you can see what you're doing better and get the shape you want. They bloom on new wood so pruning when they're dormant won't hurt you in terms of getting flowers next year. One issue with crapes though is they tend to sucker a fair amount, so if you want it to be a tree instead of a shrub be aware that there's going to be regular maintenance involved to keep cutting off the suckers as it tries to turn itself back into a bush.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Ecrane , I appreciate all the help. WE're going to be chopping up some bushes this winter for sure. I have several trees and a huge wisteria , all are getting the AX this winter.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I prune my crepe myrtles at any time and have had no problems.
Alas, I'm not organized enough to prune on a schedule.
I use a rather helter-skelter approach to gardening chores.

I think an underappreciated quality of these plants is their beautiful bark.
I isolate 3 or 4 sturdy stems and prune away all others.
I then prune away all the small branches to height of 5 ft or so, exposing the pretty bark.
Result is a tree-like clump. I think it's more attractive and tidier than the bushy form.
They will continue to put out new stems at the base, which I trim away, usually in spring.
Mine flower beautifully and look great the rest of the year also.

Here's a shot of the clump at the base, including a couple suckers I need to trim away.
(The plasting netting is to protect the trunk from my deer friends.)

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I particularly like the cultivar 'Townhouse'.
It has particularly dark reddish brown bark which contrasts beautifully as it peels.
Flowers are white. Not as showy as some of the other cultivars, but I think the bark makes up for it.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Another shot of the nice bark of Townhouse.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Robin, like you I love the bark on crepe myrtles, and yes many people seldomly notice that beauty.

ecrane suggestion is very sounds, to prune our plants during dormant stage to avoid the 'vertical dominance' phenominon -- where the active growing plant will secret hormone to stimulate new unwanted growths/suckers if we were to prune them during the growing season. For example; we mow the grass, more thicker, vigorous grass will grow. Another example; we pinch back young plants to stimulate 'bushier growth patterns'...ect.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Crapes like to sucker--I don't think pruning during the dormant season will stop that since they will do it regardless of whether you're trying to prune it into a tree form or not. The bushiness that you're talking about is what happens when you cut a branch partway vs cutting it back all the way to where it joins the main branch or trunk. Pruning for bushiness vs thinning out is a function of how you prune, not the time of year when you do it. The main reason I was suggesting dormant pruning is that when the leaves aren't there it's a lot easier to see the structure of the plant and prune to the shape you want.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll stick to my gun. However, I'm not an expert. I'll leave that area to someone else.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are a few references that explain it better than I can. Where you make your cuts while pruning a shrub determines where the subsequent new growth will be. If you prune while the plant is actively growing, you may see that new growth fairly quickly vs if you prune while the plant is dormant you won't see the new growth until the following growing season, but where that growth will be is determined by how you've pruned.
http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/pruning_shrubs.htm
http://www.rlslandscapenursery.com/custom/pdf/pruningguide.pdf
http://www.sunset.com/garden/garden-basics/basic-pruning-cuts-00400000014985/

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have already trimmed up one side of my crepe myrtle row, they look good. I love the bark on them also. My neighbor looked over my work and said they looked good LOL so I guess I did a good job. I can now mow a little closer to them, will have to trim the outside of the bushes next. Some of these crepe myrtles will have to be cut out of the power lines soon, as they are touching the lines, and these are just bushes. not the trees.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Careful with trimming the ones that are in the power lines! LOL I love the bark too--I had one at my old house that had the most beautiful bark. It came with the house so I have no idea what cultivar it was, but it was very pretty! It was planted in too much shade so it didn't bloom much but it had a really beautiful shape so I enjoyed it for that & the peeling bark.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I haven't trimmed those yet, and will be trimming around the bottom of them, can't reach the top.. I suppose the electric company will send someone out to chop them up, I wonder if I can get electricuted if their touching the lines and I touch the tree? That's always bothered me.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

As someone who used to trim trees for a utility company, I can say with certainty that yes you can get jolted if the trees are touching the electric lines. Usually the single bottom wire is the ground wire however and it will not shock you. If they are touching the lines higher up, they are live and can hurt you. When in doubt call the utility company. If they are touching the lines they will probably want to prune them back anyway. Good luck and stay safe!

Doug

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks Doug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.