A Few Echinacea Blooms From Today

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I have three new Green Jewels blooming and branching very well right now. The only drawback is the blooms are quite faded now in the summer heat. They do get more green as they mature but not as green as when they put out their first blooms. LOL...maybe there isn't enough pigment in them to spread the wealth!!! This one is real funky in coloration and may be the result of too much shade??? It only receives sun from 7AM-Noon.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This one is the most green and receives the most sun.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This one is in most of the day filtered sun.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

A couple of more starting with Harvest Moon. This one is just starting its second round of blooming this summer.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea "Virgin" has just started blooming in the past 10 days.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And lastly is Echinacea "Mac N Cheese" hangin by the Hosta.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Green Jewel doesn't look green to me. It must be like Green Envy and only green in cool climates.

Mac 'n Cheese is just not very vigorous at all. I'm disappointed in that one. It's good you finally got a bloom though. I know too many people who have problems with that cultivar's performance. Mine is growing so slowly. It's pitiful.

I think Virgin looks awesome!

Yeah, its not that green here in South Florida. LOL I'm overlooking that fact and just happy with how well they are blooming and branching. My other two new Mac N Cheese are planted in the ground and all three were plug size plants when received. The other two are fuller plants but are much shorter right now. I like Virgin also, but prefer Primadonna White. It's the same coloration and a much taller plant. Virgin is a short variety and Primadonna White is more typical sized.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I love those Green Jewels in every stage, from the pure green bud to the all green petals, then half green, then green tips, to white. What a nice journey they take! I can hardly wait to have one of my own ;-)

The Primadonna in your bouquet picture that I saw in a July thread was beautiful too. I may now be on the trail for a Primadonna, and maybe a Virgin to go with her.

Thanks So Much for Posting Those Pictures,
Diana

You're welcome Diana. LOL I'm not even sure what journey these Green Jewels are taking. They're blooming well and that has to be worth something!!!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The Green Jewels are out taking an adventure, it's called life. It's the same journey we are all on, only in their case each flowers life begins and ends in one season. Your potted Green Jewels shows us all her stages, from infant to aging, and in her case I find beauty in every stage.... not every flower looks that good in every stage.

From what I have seen in your pictures, I would put Green Jewels on the Winners List.

You have a point. I've never had an echinacea do this well in a container before.

Jon - Your Green Jewel is so pretty. I especially like the one in the second picture. The flowers look so large in relation to the plant. I think I'm going to get one of these now. LOL. Bluestone Perennials has them for fall shipping. This might be my plant to grow indoors this winter. I like to grow at least one new variety indoors for one winter and see how large it will get under a light. I tried "Merlot" last year and it did better than any other plant I've tried indoors. Since the blooms don't look like the photos they use to sell these, I think I like them better! I notice the pictures they use to sell these are before the petals and cone develop fully. They are using the same deception that was used to sell "Green Envy." Thanks for sharing these!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Clint - Thanks for the Bluestone Perennials tip, I just went there to put in my order.
I agree, that picture they show on the Bluestone site doesn't look nearly as good as Jon's plants. If I had only that Bluestone site picture to go on, I may not have ordered it.

Diana

LOL. I just hope hope hope they send you a good Green Jewel plant!!! Last years first Green Jewel I received was small and it stayed small. It did bloom a few times and the blooms were BIG....just like this years blooms on the new plants. I received 3 very good Green Jewels to start with this year and they didn't disappoint. Like I mentioned earlier, the one in the least sun is the most white. The one receiving the most sun is the most green.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice pics Jon. I like your 'Mac and Cheese'. Growing it in a pot down there in your zone is really a triumph on your part I think. How well does the color hold? I think I need one of those too.

I just got an email from Bluestone Perennials indicating the Green Jewel will ship in September. I'll be growing it indoors this winter. LOL. I might even take a basal cutting or two while I'm at it.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Thought I'd throw in a few pics I just took. Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread. Here's Echinacea Firebird

Thumbnail by mcgper1

Echinacea Tomato Soup

Thumbnail by mcgper1

Echinacea Mac n' Cheese

Thumbnail by mcgper1

Echinacea Green Eyes

Thumbnail by mcgper1

The one on the left was growing in my Tiki Torch...not sure what that is but I really like the color beside Echinacea Tomato Soup.
Most of my Tiki Torch are deep Orange like the pictures.

Thumbnail by mcgper1

Warren - I got my Firebirds in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to see them NOW! Wow. They are better than I expected!

Could that one be Tangerine Dream?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

That orangy color next to the Tomato Soup is Fabulous. If you figure out what it is, I want one ;-)

This message was edited Aug 13, 2009 8:52 AM

I'm not sure what it is. It came with my Tiki Torch plugs in early Spring and just started to flower. Nope it's not Tangerine Dream...those plugs came much later in the season and are in a different spot. This one has the Tiki Torch type leaves and a Tiki tag to match
May have to send it to Clint to let him experiment and tissue culture so we can all have one, lol.

Warren - I wish. Lol. I am very good at basal cuttings but my cultures haven't started growing yet. I am patiently trying though. I will be attending a class soon. Maybe I'll figure it out. I am improving though. Lol.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I like it too whatever it is. Makes a nice combo.

Woo Hooo Echinacea Hot Papaya is here. I can't to see the flowers...if I can get some before first frost.

Awesome to hear. I bet it will be a good one.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I hope you get at least one bloom too, purely selfish reasons, so you can share a pic with us. LOL I am looking forward to this one after seeing the promo pics. I hope it is as good as it sounds.

I can't wait to see this ones flowers. Gonna start shipping on Monday so everyone will get theirs and see if they get blooms also. Being purely optimistic since they are still plugs, lol.

Milan, OH

Thanks for posting the pictures of the coneflowers I am getting very attached to mine. I managed to get the green envy, green jewell, coconut lime and a pink one that is shaped like coconut lime. I just bought a tiki torch, I think I would like to get the tomato soup and mac and cheese to finish them off.

These new varities can be expensive I just hope they multiply like my others.

Breeze1947

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.