DAILY PICS VOL. 237

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Time to start a new thread. Here's where we came from-

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1024251/

Please don't forget to go back and look at the incredible photos there too.

One of my California Towhees.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Two of our Bald Eagles were enjoying themselves over the lake. Here's a few photos.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

another

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Just gliding along together.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I sure wish I'd have had the extra teleconverter on the camera to see these two closer, but of course I had just taken it off.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Last one. It looks like they're getting close to the 5 years of age. They were almost pure white on the head and tail.
Maybe Resin can tell us for sure?

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Duc for the new thread. The Eagles are magnificient! As I type the Readheaded Woodpeckers have just returned to the feeder, and currently I've two females Northern Cardinal juvies that are freshly arrived at the feeder. But, with the WP in the vicinity, they seem to be awaiting for their parent to come and feed them instead. I recently learn by observing them. They perch on the tree branch, fluffing their wings rapidly while calling, then the father soon will appear and feed the baby.

The lighting swifted, I can't get a good pix of the juvie cardinal, but here is another of the Redheaded Woodpecker.

Okay fellow birders, I was told Readheaded woodpeckers male/female looks the same, or similiar. Here I noticed one is proportionately larger than the other one, could the larger one be the female?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Lily your woodpecker shot on the last one was beautiful!!

Oh duc...that gliding together shot is just too cool!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Some great pics on the last thread, and the woodpecker is amazing!

I've only common birds to share but I enjoy them all the same.

Tufted duck and babies.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Lily, these birds are looking more and more like they were painted into the photo. You really are doing a great job of showing them off to us. Smart babies too. That wp looks like a threat to the smaller birds and they already know to wait for the parents.

Swan in protective mode..

Thumbnail by kniphofia

And another at a different lake (sorry for crossing Duc).

Thumbnail by kniphofia

Some pretty ducks.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the new thread Duc, great catch on the two Bald Eagles together.
Lily, wow on that Redheaded Woodpecker. glad they are coming closer to the feeder.
Knip, wonderful waterbirds.

The trees around my yard was full of birds, they even impressed the neighbors, They were on the hunt for bugs.
An American Redstart was one of them.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

the Yellow Warbler.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Black-capped Chickadee.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

Duc, Great shots of the eagles! Thanks for starting the new thread!

Lily, Love your pics of the Red-headed Woodpecker!

Knip, Beautiful pics of the babies,swans and ducks!

burn, Sweet pics of the redstart, warbler and chickadee!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Knip, that first "protective" shot is beautiful, love the others too. Sure are cute babies at the top there too! I think we just posted at the same time-sorry.
Burn that's a nice assortment of birds, maybe the neighbors will start feeding and attracting more birds too.

PERTH, Australia

What wonderful photos to start the new thread with, duc. What a sight to behold.

Lily, your photos of the Red-headed Woodpecker are amazing. The one at the end of the last thread is worth re-posting in case anyone missed it.

Gorgeous waterbirds, knip. The shots of the adult swans look like flowers unfolding.

Lovely little birds, Burn.

With Spring not far off, the big eucalyptus tree at the spot where I go to observe the Ospreys is becoming a hive of activity. These beautiful "28" parrots are staking a claim to the hollow branch this one is standing on. The bossy Rainbow Lorikeets are trying to bully them away from there, but so far, the 28's are holding firm.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Pelle and Duc.
Duc, I'm hoping the neighbor in front will start feeding. I know the one, on the side have one feeder up tor the kids, and the one out back has a few as well.
Well had another visit from the night hawk this evening. Had close to a dozen of them flying around catching bugs, But they were still too high and fast for a pic. But I'll keep an eye out for a chance at one.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Margaret, The 28 is a very colorful bird. very nice.

Our Common Raven perch by the river.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 8:30 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This Mourning Dove has been here last winter. Something happen to his poor toes, and he's got a broken bill.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Margaret, the Parot's color is so rich! Burn, I like the Dove. I found them rather shy here, they will feed on the ground, but not up high like other song birds.

I captured the Redheaded WP on a short Video to share:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfWpUc-6_vE

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Klamath River, CA

Had to go to town today so I went to where the White-headed Woodpeckers hang out. After playing hide and seek for awhile I got this long shot of one hiding in the shade.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
PERTH, Australia

I went down the ocean this afternoon. Again it was windy - ideal conditions for countless dozens of Corellas to be clowning around in. Here are a few shots I'd like to share with you.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

They'd launch themselves off branches, lights or whatever else was available and soar upwards in the wind, having even more fun when they encountered another bird mid-air.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Fantastic captures Margaret!

PERTH, Australia

Their feathers are supposed to be white, with a beautiful lemon colour under their wings. However, they spend so much time digging in the damp soil, they end up with filthy brown underparts.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thanks knip. I wish I could get a shot with all of them in doing similar things at the same time.

This one and a friend were repeatedly leaping into the air off a light and would then come back down again.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I think this is the same bird just about to land (or was it taking off). There's no flapping of wings, they just lift off like a Harrier jump jet, but squawking with delight.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I'm pretty sure this is a Fairy Tern.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Last one. I took this shot of the ocean Osprey a couple of days ago. I've needed to sharpen it as it was a poor shot, but shows it in a dive to the reef below.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Margaret, Your pics have such excellent detail! Would you mind sharing the settings you used for them?

adel, Love the White-headed Woodpecker!

PERTH, Australia

Pelle, I'd be more than happy to except I don't know how to retrieve that information on this machine. However, I always shoot in shutter priority and never less than at 1250 sec (unless the subject is completely static). The ISO would have been at 400 or perhaps 500. That was a lucky, random bit of blue sky in an otherwise dull, overcast and rainy day. Will have to wait for the mentor to wake up to provide the information. LOL

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

That's fine Margaret! Thanks so much. Do you think your AV was f 8?

PERTH, Australia

At least f8, Pelle. I haven't deleted the photos from the camera yet. I'll have a look see

PERTH, Australia

I've just had a look. Yes the shutter speed was 1250 and the Av varied between f10 (for the first shot) down to f5 and f6.3 for others.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Adel, yoohoo, more woodpeckers! Margaret those Corellas' playfulness must be fun to watch.

Would love to see the Corella's. They look like so much fun to watch!

I have noisy House Wrens....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

They seemed to have had a good year too...soooo many of them around!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.