Pink Bananas again

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The mother plant flowered back in April I think,now the baby daughter is flowering,all within 5 months,now thats really fast!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

They are pretty! Are they edible?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Nope,but sure pretty to look at!!!LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well gee...wonder why they aren't edible too?? A banana is a banana, isn't it????

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Some berries in the wild look good and Delicious,but they be poisonous as all get out !
These are only as big as my little finger,I have never tried them,just what I heard from other people who have grown them.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well..good point...on the 'lookin' good'.
I used to think poke berries looked good enough to eat too, but I knew better than to try them...LOL!!

Keaau, HI

Ornamental Bananas are generally non-hybrid plants. Edible Bananas are hybrids.
The flesh of Ornamental Bananas is safe to eat, but you get a mouthful of buckshot-like seeds to go with. If you took the time to strain the fruit from the seeds you might make a more palatable product but it would be a lot of work for little produce.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep thats what I've heard,feels like you got a mouth full of buckshot!!!

Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

That is a beautiful banana tree, may i ask what the name of it is? Sometime down the road I might try growing one, just because it is so pretty but right now want to make sure my puppy doesnt get it! Thanks

blue

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Musa Velutina,stays small 6ft or less,fast grower

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Heres some info.
http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Pink+Banana+Plant

Thank you Tropicman! I bookmarked it. I see they also have a pineapple banana tree, never heard of that, that also is going to be a possibility.

blue

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes it comes from being crossed with the Raja Puri,which I have and love to grow,nice wide stiff leaves that hold up to the wind real well!

Tropicman, I have few more question, have you ever ate the fruit from the pineapple banana? Does it really have a taste (either slight or not) of pineapple? Or is it that its acidic like a pineapple? Thanks for your help :)

blue

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

No but have had the raja puri,very sweet,bananas were small 4 to 6 inches,had a custard texture,I had one plant that had a lot of rag,so I'm not sure that maybe it was crossed with a raja puri and not pure,I got these plants from Stokes Tropicals years ago,so I can only guess they sent me the right plants,this is my favorite eating banana,next to the Cavendish!

Cool, thank you! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.