Pinnate leaved Plant needed for zone 7, Please assist.

Ocean City, NJ

Greetings All,

I am searching for a pinnate leaved plant that will survive zone 7 temperatures. I have looked at the chinese mahonia, however I was wondering if there is a plant where the pinnate leaves are a little larger with more seperation which ultimately will make it appear closer to a palm? If anything comes to mind, please respond. Thanks.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm thinking....it's a tall order it seems...but I'll be on the look out.
rj

May very well be a Palm but a picture of the plant in question would sure help.

Rachel

Edit to add: I have read that this particular Palm is hardy to zone 5 . Some of the Sabal's should be hardy as well.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57180/

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 12:15 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ah yes..I've seen them in Seattle of all places

:-)

Hope all is well with you R.J.

Rachel

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Rachel,
Things are good! I have worked one of my days off every weekend since mid June, taking a break this weekend as I'm getting caught up in the $$ department. Weather has calmed down somewhat, and we are getting more rain fall, although S.Texas is still needing some.
Going on vacation with my folks. Going to visit them in Seattle, then we are making our annual pilgrimage to Victoria Canada for a week, will hop the ferry from Seattle. My Mom and I will then spend one whole day at Buchart Gardens...looking forward to that early next month.

How are you?

When you say pinnate leaves...I was thinking small pinnate, like Jacaranda or Poinciana trees.. Am I right, or you want more like a Yucca? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/223888/

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 5:19 AM

bellasm, sorry for my "scan read" I was thinking when I read earlier that you were looking for an I.D.'-) Blonde moment! I will add that there are some Palm's and Yucca's as well that would be hardy to your area as well if that's the type of plant you are looking for?

R.J., good to read that you are doing well and getting geared up to head on vacation with your folk's. Please take some picture's of your and your mother's visit to Buchart Garden's. I have heard/viewed via the net that the B. Garden's is a gorgeous place to visit! Rain........All I can say is go away here in our part of the world;-)

I need to take a stop and visit over on the Tropical Plant forum and get caught up! That will take me a while though.

Rachel

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Will do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.