Can Texas Bluebonnets grow in Georgia?

Dallas, GA

Every year I see seed packets of Texas Bluebonnets in the garden shops, and I sigh, thinking how lovely it would be to have a field of bluebonnets like my relatives in Texas do.

I'm sure they must be able to grow here or they wouldn't sell them here... right? Has anyone grown or seen Bluebonnets here (esp. north Georgia)?

Anyway, I bought a packet and am going to spread them this fall in hopes for bluebonnets in the spring... I may hedge my bets and plant some English bluebell bulbs as well, in the hopes that SOMETHING pretty and blue will pop up next spring! :D

Julia

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Julia i live on the augusta ga ,sc border and i have tried to grow them with no luck. i still try but am about to give up even though i like them and would enjoy them in my yard.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Here in NW Florida, we have a beautiful Lupin that grows wild and beautiful. Look at the link below and see if that would work for you - if so, I have plenty of seeds for it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1598/

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Kay if you have enough i would love a few to try. let me know

Dallas, GA

Thank you for the feedback... I guess for $1.39 or whatever I won't be out too much money if nothing happens. Kay, great to know about Lupin -- will definitely try that! I haven't seen seeds for it in any nurseries here so if you have a few seeds to spare, I'd love to take you up on that! Are you interested in any seeds you haven't been able to find? I have at least two dozen seed packets for various flowers and herbs that I'd be happy to trade... let me know!

Since I posted, I also have been reading that English bluebells don't do well at all in GA either. Spanish bluebells are supposedly a bit hardier so I guess I'll be trying them.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

If you want some, please dmail me - I can do a trade or postage - I have plenty to share.

LOL - I have LOTS of seeds I'm looking for - just dmail me a list of what you have.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have English bluebells, and they multiply ever year.I live in NW Ga. Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.