Container Renovations 7! (smile)

Baker, LA(Zone 8b)

Where's KatG? Has anyone heard from her? I'd love to see what she's done this spring. Last year was so inspiring to me.

Austin, TX

I love this thread, especially Katg's pix. I have five acres of cedar and such, but close to the house only two large patches of sun and that's just over half day. I put tons of containers on my deck in back and experiment all the time with soils, etc. I'm interested in worm castings in pots.

Thumbnail by sylguy
Austin, TX

This is an enclosure on my deck that is an ever changeing array of containers.

Thumbnail by sylguy
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

KATG..where she lives has great weather for all her plants. While they do have some "cool" weather sometimes in the winter, nothing like we would have up North. We couldn't keep any plants like hers outdoors in the wintertime. I live in Md. near DC and we even have to dig up Dahlias and store them to keep them from freezing. That's a hassle and nowhere to store them so that's why I don't plant dahlias anymore. Learned my lesson the hard way the second year I had dahlias..they froze and rotted in the ground. Even if there is a cold spell that comes through her area, her house is large enough, I'm sure she could move her planters away from the cold temperatures temporary till it blows over.

KatG..I love looking at all your container creations and your home is so beautifully decorated. Have you ever thought of making tuitorials on how to choose plant combinations, the right type of pot, and how to plant them? You seem to know your way around the computer and have fantastic computer skills. Did you ever get your cookbook finished and published that you were working on last year or year before last? One of my challenges when I make up a container is not knowing how many of each plant to buy and when I run out, and get a chance to go back to garden center(Home Depot is 1 mile away, thus you know where I buy most of my plants but they surely didn't have great selections this summer. Of course, since I tried wintersowing for the first time, I didn't buy a lot from HD this summer. Plus in January, my husband had knee replacement surgery and so that meant 2 mo. of pt. 3 x a week. We had such a hot summer, you'd have to work early morning in the flowerbeds and come inside by 11 am. It's been a long time since we've had a summer with constant temps 90-103 for so long and little rain.
I'm happy that you were able to reap the benefits of being feature on HGTV with more head creations. That's wonderful, you deserve it.

You seem to have great sources for beautiful patio containers. Have you ever revealed your sources and will they ship outside of Florida?

This message was edited Dec 2, 2010 8:32 PM

Do you buy your caladium and coleus locally or order than from an internet source or catalog? Can you recommend one that you feel has the best plants? Or do they sell seeds for those?

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

KatG is no longer a member of DG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.