Want to share

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

My beautiful new variegated Pandanus!!! It came in a 20 gal. pot...I just love it!!! I told Bob that it followed me home and he let me keep it!!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That is pretty!

I'm picking up a variegated Heliconia tomorrow...!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I just love the variegates!!!! Planted this off the front porch back in a 'dim' corner and it brightens up the whole place!!!!

Which Heliconia?

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

Wow! That is gorgeous!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

'El Tigre' variegated heliconia

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmmdon't know that one.

Today we found a variegated WEED!!! One of the ubiquitous ageratums and it is variegated!!! Really pretty!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah that's cool.
that variegated philo from your garden is growing like a weed..it's half way up the fence now, and starting to show more white.
I love green and white variegation!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You ready for that storm?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sweet Bob for letting you keep that puppy. It is gorgeous!!!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Well...the storm is going to skirt us barely as a TD...wait until a newer report...fickle lady she is!

That is a beautiful Pandanus; I have the yellow variegated form.

You ought to post that photo in Plantfiles.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, Carol, since the title of your thread is I just wanted to share.....couldn't resist that.
Here is that Heliconia I picked up today.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

the other stock.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Really nice, RJ....I'll wait 'til she is bigger to ask the obvious!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, it's perfect shipping size...

Keaau, HI

Is that the native Hala, Carol? It will have prickly edges.

There is a natural population of variegated Hala down at Wa'awa'a. I'll remove a sucker for you if you like.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

It does have prickly edges...don't know if it is native or not. I got it from John Rozette...

Keaau, HI

Interesting! I gave cuttings to a couple of Rozette's workers in the early 2000's

I stopped and talked with John Rozette while I was out there, he is quite an interesting and knowledgeable guy. Didn't see any pretty pandanus like that though.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Perhaps it is from you!!!! Would love to know how to take cuttings from it as the center is starting to come out all white and I don't want that to happen!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

A beautiful addition to your garden Carol! Just wonderful!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

Hey Carol, I think the plant just needs to be grown out. It will start producing side shoots.

Parts that are too variegated will not be so vigorous, and the plant will eventually drop them; similar to the variegated Dracaena reflexa that makes yellow shoots.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Carol!!!

The Tropical Rhoderdendron..Vieyera..or something like that because I'm too excited to look it up....
It has a FASCINATING way of going to seed! I let the seed pods grow, and finally after several months, the pods open in the morning and release hair like seeds I presume, then the close up during the day...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

another pic....when you touch them...little hairs fall out.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

this is another seed pod getting ready to ....open soon.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Cool Randy...you going to plant the seeds?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I shook some off in a small pot to see what happens.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

GREAT!!!

Cuttings are really easy!!!! if you want to know, I can walk you thru it.

ooooxxxx

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay..of course...it doesn't seem to be growing too fast, but I have it in a pot. If I can do cuttings, I'll put it in the ground.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Randy...they really love living in pots!!! They are semi epiphytic...like their roots really snug.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Carol, that's so beautiful! I am just discovering the variegated passion... sad to say, my hubby was ahead of me this time!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I've kept it in a pot and elevated off the ground, and it seems quite happy, in fact I think blooms are in the near future.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Beautiful plants here, guys. Eye candy, really.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Carol, did Wayne call you? I communicated strongly that it would be wise.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Nope. When is he coming?

(Zone 1)

That is a gorgeous variegated Padanus Carol! Are they slow growers? I can just picture that one at about 6-8' tall.

Isn't it great when something like that follows you home? ^_^

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hopefully, being variegated it will be a slower grower. Yes...I don't even have to feed them!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I heard them talking about the 6th as a departure date to HNL, but know nothing beyond that. I emailed him your number yesterday to make sure he has it.
I'll keep pestering him....I'm leaving for Seattle on the 3rd.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I will be in HNL mid month. Visiting Ted Green a hoya mentor of mine....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.