I'm losing an old friend

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My ever favorite plant, Bouvardia ternifolia is dying. It started one branch at a time and slowly spread to the whole plant. I took it out of the pot last evening and, as I suspected, the roots were all rotted. The soil was badly compacted and I guess the roots just were starved for oxygen. We had a lot of rain falling in short periods of time during June and July and it was so heavy at times it literally appears to have washed all the perlite out. I see perlite all over the garden right now and it had to have floated there. I am checking a lot of other pots and finding the same. Nothing like having to re-pot in 90 degree temps.

This was my favorite hummingbird plant because it bloomed most of the year for me. Got to find another quickly.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

You might be able to rescue it by taking cuttings. Put the cuttings in fresh water for a day and hopefully they will perk up. Then try dipping them in rooting hormone and plant them in a 50/50 blend of perlite and sterile soilless potting mixture (my default choice for rooting stuff). I think Plant Delights sells B. ternifolia or at least they used to - that's where I got mine.

Thanks Tom, I never thought of the soaking first part - good idea, I'll try it.

I can't remember where I originally got this plant, it was at least 9 years ago. Tony still lists them as does Woodlanders. I have to be in Raleigh in September and will be visiting PD at that time but I don't know if I want to wait that long. Will probably order one from PD now, I think their plants will be larger than Woodlanders.

Such a funky, twiggy little plant but it had been right by my window for years because it always drew many, many hummers. The poor little birds are flying around in circles looking for their cafeteria.

Johns Island, SC

My Bouvardia longiflora have struggled this year too, ardesia. I think it's because of the copious rainfall---they never get a chance to "dry out and breathe" before they're swamped again. They're hanging in there, but they aren't happy campers this year!

I suspect you are correct Stono. Many plants are suffering with wet feet this year.

B. longiflora was new to me I had to look that one up. Do you get a lot of butterflies and hummers on yours? Is it hardy in your area?

On Tom's suggestion, I have a couple of small cuttings of my deceased Bouvardia started but it looks like I will have to wait for a larger repacement. Plant Delights is sold out and Woodlanders won't ship until October.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.