'Zapper' Concerns

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I bought a mosquito 'Zapper' (I was desperate) - black light, 4000 volts.

It comes with a small chemical 'lure' that attaches to the cage. Not sure how this lure works exactly and if it is specific to mosquitos.

I am afraid to put it up ... it occured to me that it may attract butterflies, moths, dragonflies, etc. Does anybody have any experience/thoughts about this?

thanks.

Sinks Grove, WV

Any 'bug zapper' that uses this sort of light is going to attract a large number of moths and other harmless insects. If you want to run it, I suggest constructing a 'cage' of 1/4" hardware cloth (metal screening) to place around the trap. This will exclude larger insects while still permitting easy entry of mosquitoes (as well as a large number of small, harmless insects). You may be better off finding a 'mosquito trap' that uses only CO2 and other chemical attractants instead one with a light source of any kind.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks - I should have done my homework. The light the zapper uses doesn't attract mosquitos-- it relies on the chemical to lure. The grid is really small - and will prevent the butterflies and most moths - I didn't realize the insects had to actually touch the grid -- so those two are mostly safe --but I am not to keen on killing harmless insects and it looks like the zapper won't do much good.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Just an added note of caution: bug zappers kill many beneficial insects that are attracted to the light.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.