How do you keep track of all your Iris?

Spicer, MN

Perhaps I am weird but when I was 'bitten' 3 years ago and started to accumulate more & more Iris, I wanted a way to keep track of each of them...who I bought them from, the cost, the year and awards, etc. I also wanted a picture of what they looked like and then a way to show the actual picture I took of mine. I have talented sons that set up a database for me and it is so nice to have. Winter doesn't seem quite so long as I can browse through them smile.

Cherryvale, KS

I have a spread sheet, but didn't think of everything at first. Sounds like you are doing a great job!! I'm actively working to get all the pictures!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

husker, I need to borrow your sons for a few days...lol
Elaine

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i use a program called flower 2009 from Plantstep. it was created for daylily folks but has been expanded and one can enter just about any type of plant.

Spicer, MN

:o) I'll see what I can do! It really has added another deminsion for me.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Do they pull weeds too?? lol

Spicer, MN

I wished! ...but not really! They are too club footed!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dibs on the kids after Elaine. I could use a good program, also.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

lol,, I bet you wouldn't let them near your favorite plants.
I had looked at the daylily software.. May have to look at it again...
Polly, my phlox from you is just amazing. That bloom has stayed on since spring time, and we are having some really hot/dry weather.

Spicer, MN

If you're serious, I'll ask them. Databases are so foreign to me but if they can give you the link to make it happen, I know you would enjoy it too.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I use our very own DG journal to keep tract of mine. It's seriously in need of some updating, but click on my name, then under actions click on 'Read Joan's Gardener's Journal'. From there, click on Joan's Garden Journal.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

So glad to hear that Elaine. My phlox are blooming, too, and I just love them. Your irises were gorgeous, and just what I thought they would be. It's always nice when somethiung looks the way you expect it to. Sometimes it works when you beg, LOL. .

Husker, I would be interested in seeing it, if I could. I'm not very up on spreadsheets, though. But if you are asking your sons about it, please include me, and thank you!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

would love a link if they can do it..
thanks,
Elaine

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I got the 2008 2009 Plantstep and it is really a great asset. Now If I ever sit down and put the rest in there that I have piling up on the desk it would help,

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I actually have 3, one on Dave's Journal, excel, and I keep a copy of each plant in a book.

Lebanon, OR

I do not keep track from whom I buy or how much because there are just a few sources for me, unless it is from the sale then I make a note...But with the business I have a huge database that tells me where in the garden, the name, year, hybridizer, season, height, description then in the picture database has all the pictures of mine plus when I go to Mid America, Keith Keepel, Schreieners, Cooleys pictures of one I might be interested in that are in the seedling beds that I are lined out, plus ones I like, so my picture database has three or four CD filled with pictures...

I just planted all the iris from region 13 spring meeting that we will use for doorprises, planted alpha, then I take the hybridizer and the year, and give two from the most current (2009)and 2 from the next(2008)2 from 2007 and two from 2006

hopefully by the 27th I will start digging the entire 1 1/2 acres of bearded iris for replant.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have all that for my business on index cards, except for the picture. The pictures I have in a folder on my computer and a backup disc. But a database on my computer would be nice to include the photos. On my index cards I have name, location, who I purchased it from and when, season, height, description, awards and hybridizer.

I so wish I had mine all lined out alphabetically Dee, but I've aquired them over the years, and it just didn't turn out that way. I now have the colored tags we got from the Eon co-op, and I have different colors for different types, blue for sibs, green for JIs, and silver for species, and that helps. The index cards tell me what row the irises are in.

I keep track of where I bought them, and I see a definite trend of not so good ones from a certain place, as you know, Dee. (Mine from Dee are fantastic, BTW).

I don't envy Dee having to dig and divide all those irises. I have some to do, no where's near that much.

Oops, added that I also keep parentage on the index cards. It's turning out the JIs hybridized by White and McEwen are hardier than others, so I like to know if they have a White or McEwen JI in the parentage.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2009 8:30 AM

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Although I have a spreadsheet I mainlly use this free program it's called irises version 2.4, you can record its location, its lineage, and lots of other things and you can put its picture on it, as well as print it out in different ways: http://www.janett.net/

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

husker,
I would also be interested to know which software your sons are using.

I have a folder with printed information,startet a spreadsheet and have lots and lots of pictures on Cd's and a memorystick.Also startet a gardenjournal here on daves a few months ago with my new garden plants since we moved.But it would be soooooo nice to have it all in one place !!!

DaLoveRat,
also will check out the free one you're using.Thanks for posting it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

For my own purposes I use an excel spreadsheet each year for new acquisitions. I list iris, hybridizer,year of introduction, and where I got it. I also have a fairly extensive journal on Dave's Garden, but I am always behind on it. In the winter I do most of the updating. This is where I add the pictures -- only photos I have taken in my yard or at the convention so I will know what they look like.
I have started an MS Access database, but I am either farther behind on it than I am on the Dave's Garden journal. That one seems doomed to extinction.
I will check out DaLoveRat's suggest database. Might be something I could use.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

I might add that my computers OS is Windows XP I don't know how and if it would work for other OS's or Mac's.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I downloaded the Irises Database. It seems to be a very fine application. I have read Mike Greenfield's description of it on Iris Photos. If I can talk myself into doing the data entry, I believe it would be perfect for me personal needs. Of course, I will continue to add to my Dave's Garden Journal so I can share info about my irises with my fellow iris nuts.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I just went onto my 2009 Plantstep as have not been there since last year and can.t get anything entered. I forgot how it has been so long. My fault for not doing it sooner. Did the update and still nothing.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I use Onenote from Microsoft. It is like a notebook on the computer. I actually got the program for school but it is quite versatile and I use it for everything, even keeping track of online orders because I can "print" webpages right to Onenote using the print function on my web browser. If I see a flower I like on the internet I simply "print" it to Onenote. I have a section called Garden Journal. In my journal I keep track of what plants I bought, from whom, when they were planted. In addition, I keep all the information about the plant like the hybridizer and other information like that. I have a section for my daylilies, irises, roses, and other perrenials. Within each section I have the plants grouped as early, mid or late season bloomers and a picture of what they should look like. I can add journal notes and my own photos of the plant in my garden. I also track spraying for bugs and fertilization schedules. I have another section with plants I want to add to my gardens too.

I really like the ease of using this program because really all you need to know how to do is type. You can organize files any way you want. The program cost was about $50 from my school's bookstore, but I bet it can be found on sale somewhere.

In the actual garden I use copper plant markers in front of each plant. I make the labels using a Dymo label writer that connects to my pc. I print the name in black on a clear label then afix it to the marker. I got these tools from my favorite place, ebay. All brand new and cheaper than Amazon.

Spicer, MN

I'm not sure if this is allowed at DG. Anyway my Son said that if you would send me your e-mail address, he will be here this weekend and would be glad to send you the database. My e-mail is shapack@hotmail.com.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Question for PollyK (or anyone else with the info). Is there a specific site on the internet that has the parentage of the irises? I usually do a search and just look at the sites in the results for different information.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, the American Iris Society has a registry of all irises up to and including 2007. This includes beardless and bearded. From the registry you can get height, season, hybridizers name, date registered, parentage, description, and ploidy and number of falls for siberians and Japanese.

The registry is 10.00 per year, and you can join here:

http://www.irisregister.com/

It may or may not be worth it to you to spend 10.00 for it. Depending on how often you need to find information.

For me, growing and selling beardless it's very inportant. For example, I know siberian iris Coronation Anthem is a very vigorous iris, and does well for me here. I search the registry for Coronation Anthem, and it brings up Blueberry Fair, amongst others. Clicking on Blueberry Fair gives me the following:

BLUEBERRY FAIR

(Robert Hollingworth, R. 1996). Sdlg. 92K2B1. SIB (tet.), 32" (81 cm), M.
S. light blue violet; style arms broad, short, multi-shaded blue violet to light blue; F. medium blue violet, veined white signal area; ruffled, flared. Coronation Anthem X 82J2C7(T), Jewelled Crown sib. Windwood Gardens 1997.

So now I know Blueberry Fair should be a good vigorous iris for me too, as it's a tetraploid, Coronation Anthem is a parent, and it's a sibling to Jewelled Crown which also does well here.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

husker, I'm sure it's allowed by DG. You might not want everyone to see your email address, though. I would delete the address, and just say if anyone wants it to send you a dmail. That would be more private.

I did send you an email asking for a copy though, and I very much appreciate you and your son offering. Thank you.

Winnsboro, TX

Check out flowers 2009 Plantstep for @ 29.00 offered here on Dave's Market I think. I've had it for a couple of years and I just love it. (No it does not pull weeds, but that's about the only thing it doesn't do. LOL)

I still have tons of information to get caught up on adding but I think it's a very good program and it also has maps to map our your gardens and such. That's still something I really need to do as I can't ever remember where I planted anything. So I take many thousands of extra steps in the gardens and beds looking for one or two of my plants that someone wants to trade for.

I'm going to add mapping my beds/gardens to my todo list this fall/winter when it's much cooler around here.
Good Luck and Happy Gardening,
Marian

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

The other night I checked out the Plantstep 2009 videos at the Plantstep website (after reading this thread). I was really impressed and am going to purchase it. I really like that it downloads the plant information from an online database to your computer and allows you to add your own photos. I need to start tracking my daylilies and irises now that my collections (make that "addictions") are getting out of control!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Have to check that out.

Are you saying it downloads all the info.if you JUST give a name of a iris or DL ?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Do other people have access to your info, though? If so, I don't want that. It looks like a good vehicle to set up a catalogue to sell, though, for someone that does not want to do a website.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 11:25 PM

According to the video demonstration, you put in the cultivar name and the information (such as year of introduction, hybridizer, etc.) will populate on your computer. You need to be connected to the internet for this to happen. Nobody will have access to your information because it is then "housed" on your hard drive. You can then use the program to review your information without being connected to the internet. There is also a section geared to those of you who hybridize. Here's the link: http://www.plantstep.com/index.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click the "Watch Our Videos" link for the demonstrations.

I believe you can also record who you purchased from and who you sold to. There is an iris section!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

What is the page where you can see the catalogues, then Figaro? I see some that look like people just keeping records, not selling. Otherwise it looks like something I might be interested in. I don't want anyone having access to my data, I have a website for that. Thanks for the info.

Polly, I seem to recall the guy saying that currently it's not a catalog that others can order from. Maybe it's something that one prints out. I didn't pay a lot of attention to that part since I'm only interested in tracking my collection.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, figaro. I'll look at it further.

Winnsboro, TX

Another thing, plantstep was first made for daylilies and it has an extensive information fields that fill in themselves once you enter the daylily name.

Unfortunately it does not have all the information for the irises or a database like the daylilies for you to just click on and it fill everything in for you. (grin/frown) That would make it way too easy for us. LOL

It does have a mapping system and it also will make labels for you for your plants. All in all I'd have to saw WELL WORTH the $29. for the program. The guy is really very nice and will walk you through the program. If he can teach me some of the stuff he can teach anyone.

I just wish that I would faithfully put all my plants into the program. I have good intentions but alot of the time I just don't get around to adding them. It's a neat tool to play with during the winter months when your bored and can't do a whole lot outside in the gardens and flowerbeds.

Good Luck and all that good stuff.
Marian

What interests me is that the framework is there -- no need to create a database from scratch. I used to create simple databases in Paradox, but I've forgotten most of what I used to know. No fun getting older. LOL!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Data entry is always the sticking point in databases. If there is a way to automatically upload files from the AIS R&I it could be really valuable. Right now I will stick with what I have because I am only up to so much data entry and it least part of mine is already done -- but I have to admit all of that for only $29 sounds really good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.