Heucherella Sweet Tea with ajuga and coreopsis? advise plz

Huntersville, NC

do these plants 'work' together??

I have two slight berms on either side of a path, that I want to give some color. so I got these 3:

Heucherella 'Sweet Tea' (http://www.terranovanurseries.com/r/pages/plants/heucherella-sweet-tea.php)
Orange Cinnamon palmate leaves.

Ajuga Blueberry Muffin (http://www.terranovanurseries.com/m/pages/plants/ajuga-blueberry-muffin.php),
Green-Yellow leaves with 8" "blueberry blue spike" flowers.

Coreopsis Snowberry (http://www.waysidegardens.com/gardening/PD/40029)
Creamy white petals with burgundy patches surround a honey-colored eye

They would have a backdrop (but little shade) of some very tall pale pink crape myrtles.

I had thought these would look nice together but now not so sure.

Advice IS Needed!

Thumbnail by 50glee
Athens, PA

I think the combo will be very beautiful together... Please post pictures when you have them all planted.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I'll second that. I think it would be a great color combination!

I'm wondering about your shade though... are you saying the area you'll be planting them in doesn't get much shade? I'm only asking because I don't know how well the Sweet Tea will do with alot of sun along with your heat and humidity. But, you can always try it and if it doesn't seem happy there, you can always relocate her.

Sometimes these heuchs/ellas surprise us with the amount of sun they can handle...and then others disappoint us...I need to move Tiramisu(s) that really dislike the sun they're getting.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

50glee, You choose absolutely beautiful plants. Please be wary of Wayside Gardens-they have not been to good in the last number of years. Also, remember that Heucheras etc. take time to develop their true colors & change with the seasons. I second the motion please post pictures of your plants once together you made absolutely wonderful choices.

Huntersville, NC

Wow! Thanks folks!

These are a few im getting from an old pre-booking Co-op that has morphed into . . .dunno straight retail??

either way, these will be plugs coming from Terra Nova2010.

medinac - I hear you about Sweet Tea, although it says morning sun. What WE get down here is way off the charts of intensity:
thus increasing the probably of a plants crying-frying-dying.
Yep in that order!
- been there - done that, BigTime!

I also have to be cautious of that dratted threat of powdery mildew that pesters us down here.

Of course I could consider a different selection combination at are mildew resistant. .
hmm that may be something to consider.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2009 2:56 PM

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Bev,
I have Sweet Tea from a previous co-op. It is doing great, but doesn't get a bunch of sun like some of my others do. No signs of mildew even with this wetter than usual summer.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very pretty 50glee! The colors are awsome on the sweet tea. I just purchsed Alambam nights the colors are alot alike. That deep dark red is so rich! Ronna

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

coreopsis needs full sun and heuchera needs part shade the hottest part of the day or mostly shade they prefer morning or late evening sun they are woodland plan

Huntersville, NC

good point!

But two points im trying to consider:
the edges of the bed get more sun than the center areas.
and often ive found many plants do well in dappled sun/shade.
thus both the heuchera and coreopsis can survive together.
hey Ive FRIEDmany a FULL SUN plants by putting them in this full sun we have down here
- so Ive learned less is best.

I may also revise to: Heuchera, Autumn Leaves. it claims to like "Sun to shade".

the red of the heuchera may complement the coreopsis.

I just discovered I wont be able to get the ajuga blue muffins - not yet anyway. bummer.
- but spring has not sprung and the game is still afoot!

This message was edited Aug 16, 2009 4:26 PM

Thumbnail by 50glee
Huntersville, NC

bluestone is having a sale and their AJUGA Genevensis : CARPET BUGLE accepts Full Sun to Full Shade . . .
but the leaf color is not as nice as the blueberry muffin . . .

still trying to get this plan right . . .by listening to your advice!

Thumbnail by 50glee
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

50 - I think I'd stick with the Blueberry Muffin, I like the leaf and flower color better. Also, I looked at the description of Autumn Leaves and I think it'd be great Spring and Fall color with it's companion but it says Taupe coloring during the summer. I think the Sweet Tea would keep better coloring in the summer (I've seen it at nurseries and even though it's not as brilliant as the above picture shows, it keeps a nice color). The parentage of Autumn Leaves and Sweet Tea have H. villosa so they both should stand up to the heat and humidity well.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Note for Northeast, Illinois gardeners:

Just an "FYI" for Heuchera & Heucherella lovers in Northeast, Illinois. Platt Hill Nursery now has the new Heucherella "Sweet Tea" as well as the Beautiful, large-leafed, Heuchera "Georgia Peach".

Helpful if you want to see the plants "up close & personal" before you buy.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If it's of any help to anyone, here is 'Georgia Peach' at a local Zone 7 nursery. Photo taken this past Monday and I have not done anything to alter the colors:

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene -

Gorgeous color on Georgia Peach. I have GP coming from a co op next month. I am looking forward to receiving these new babies!

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

Pirl,
Enjoy Georgia Peach. I added a few to the garden last summer and have thoroughly enjoyed them. They get BIG. They looked great right away this spring. Their location catches morning and evening filtered light and the leaves *glow*! Visitors seem to enjoy them too and always ask about them.

~Sharon

Oh no! I didn't buy it but just took a photo of it. Now I have a good reason to go back to the nursery and bring it home with me.

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

Oops! Thought that was a pic of what you brought home. I didn't plan on being an enabler, honest. I was just excited about your "choice." Well, congratulations for your future purchase! There. I got it right this time. ;^)

~Sharon

As soon as I finish planting dahlias I'll go back and buy it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.