Gas Heaters

Madison, AL

Has anyone had experience with an Empire direct vent gas heater sized for a greenhouse? I am looking at this particular product as it functions without electricity (optional blower for when the power is on). I have been using electric heaters and am always so concerned in the dead of winter when the power goes off and I run for the little Buddy propane heaters in the middle of the night trying to save the orchids. I want a regular propane heater feeding off the tank so that I do not have to worry about losing the power. Have you tried this heater?

Fulton, MO

I have two in my GH and they are great. I don't have the blowers. They run off the grid on a microvoltage thermostat or you can power them with low voltage AC if you want, too.

Madison, AL

Thank you for your answer. I have been hesitating to do this because of the expense. This orchid and greenhouse hobby is getting pricey! The propane people quoted me aboug $800 to install their part (including a tank) and the heater will be about $800-900 (if I get the blower). How large is your greenhouse? I have a 10 x 20 Ft and assume one heater will be sufficient here in NC (usually not below 10-15 in the winter and then only for a few days at a time).

Fulton, MO

Mine is 20 x 23. So yes, I would guess one would be enough for you, depending on your GH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.