First time Datura tatula

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I had some old seeds of these that I had gotten in a trade & decided this year to try them. I got two plants that I started in May and I finally got them to flower. The flowers don't have a sweet fragrance, but they stink, as do the leaves when you handle them. They only open at night & close the next day. I have seed pods going now, so I will have fresh seed this year. They are full of buds. I have the plants in a large planter so I can take better care of them. I am really enjoying these plants and I would love to grow more Daturas next year so maybe we can trade seeds when mine are ready. Let me know & thanks. Buttoneer

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I soak my stubborn ones in GA giberellic acid .. a growth hormone .. seems to speed up the process .. or you can do the "Curse n Stir" method .. which actually works so quit laughing. Here's how you do it:

You pick up the container that have your datura seeds in them which have done absolutely nothing for a month .. curse at it .. stir it up really good and plant something totally different in it. In a few day to a week, the datura will start germinating .. quit laughing it actually works!

X

This message was edited Jan 9, 2014 7:58 AM

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Tell me about Gordon's Picotee and the Raspberry Swirl ones. Thanks. Judy Showers

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

It's been awhile since I posted in this forum but I had some old seeds of Datura missouriensis (the variegated one) and decided to try to sprout them. I soaked in warm water overnight. then put them in a moist papertowel and put that in a ziploc bag and keeping it in the kitchen. Wonder how long it takes to germinate a datura seed? Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.