Mushrooms, rain and pet concerns

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi,
Well, we have had a LOT of rain here over the last few weeks, more than average for July/August. It's supposed to be hot, humid, and dry here this time of year. Anyway, I have been getting those mushrooms that pop up in the yard. I am concerned that my dogs would eat them, so, I carefully pick them and toss them in the trash. It seems that between the rain, and picking them that I get more and more everyday. I am sure to wash the hands asap with antibacterial afterwards. Does anyone know if they are toxic to pets?? How can I get rid of them?? By pulling them up, am I causing them to spread???
Thanks,
Janet

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

First, let me say congratulations on your rain. Please send some our way. We are in a severe drought.
No, you are not causing them to spread. If you left them, they would dry up and the spores would be released, causing even more mushrooms. Spores are to mushrooms what seeds are to plants.
But underground there are root like structures called mycelial strands, and those will continue to send up fruiting structures - the mushrooms.
I don't know about toxicity to dogs, but I would continue to eliminate them just in case... (Maybe your vet could answer that question...)

CJ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.