He's showing up this morning!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

He died at my house......

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!
Did he have a long life?????

Nope.....didn't even make it a year sad to say.

Nice looking Joe, Tropicman! Mine obviously ran off as well.... didn't even emerged from the ground this year!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Some Joes you just can't depend on them!!!LOL

LOL!! :0)

Fredericktown, OH

Very pretty.:)

maybe my Joe ran off with my Pink Delight Butterfly Bush???? LOL

LOL, Nanny!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Bloomed for the first time this morning here. Usual time period is from spring to fall. Just too danged hot!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Nan,you just got to keep a eye on Joe !!!LOL
Christi,There saying over 100* here rest of the week!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mine (Little Joe) are budded and if only we could get some sunshine. It's been raining for days.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi
What are the temperatures you've been having?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The last month has been btwn 75 & 85 F, but the last 4 days have been dreary wet completely overcast at 50 to 55 F.

Sunny for the weekend though, Yeah

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Wow!
Although that would be considered sleeping with the window open!!!
I chat with a lady who lives in Thunder Bay,don't know how far that would be form you,but she told me she had to turn the furnace back on twice this summer!!!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Sheesh - Joe's been running through the fields out here for the past week or two....kicking up his heels.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Redneck Joe is a long way from Home!!!LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

He's out hiding from everyone,somewhere in the garden.
He's among the plumerias trying to blend in!!!LOL

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Beek a Boo I see you!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Getting any butterflies on Joe?

It's supposed to be a big late summer butterfly nectar plant in some parts of the country.

We are growing E. 'gateway' (a shorter cultivar) but it's not into bloom yet.

How tall is yours, Tm?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Butterflies have been very few and far between here.
Doesn't seem to be a big fan of the butterflies,well lets say haven't seen any visitors to it yet.
They seem to prefer the Mexican sunflowers and the red zinnas the best.
Mine are over 6ft.
I also have the smaller variety ,but it has been shaded by the zinnas and Queen palm tree that they have very little flower buds and have yet to open.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Joe is alive and well here in Georgia! I have the species and 'Carin' - supposed to be more silvery and a bit shorter. Joe is 9 ft and Carin is 7 to 8 ft. I counted 16 Swallowtail butterflies on Carin (2 plants) the other day. So Joe and family have turned out to have the most magnetic personality to the winged ones in my garden. :)

Thumbnail by cedar18
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful picture. I have a baby swallowtail cat that I found on the rue last weekend. Has doubled it's size. Sheila had already given me a "nursery" box, just in case. They have eaten my three citrus trees almost bare. What price glory. They really like the budelia (sp) butterfly bush.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lou, I just saw Rue for the first time yesterday ( that I recall anyway). It's a very pretty plant. I'll have to try some since the 'cats' like it and I guessing the deer don't. ? Thanks. that pic was taken earlier in the morning; when I went back out to work in the garden an hour or so later is when I counted the 16 b'flies.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Wonderful pic of your Eupatorium with the Swallowtails. I often read that the butterflies like it but I seldom see such a bevvy on them!

Now you've gotten me excited about starting some from seed. I understand it isn't so easy to do that for some of the cultivars. Others are easier, and maybe it would be easiest to start plants from cuttings? Must check into that.

Some Joe Pye's are for moist areas. Others like it dry. I'm not sure which is which, though.

Here's the Plant Files list of varieties

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Asteraceae/Eupatorium/none/cultivar/0/

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well I think Joe likes it at your place,much better than mine!!!
And the swallow tails too!!!!
That also explains where all the butterflies are at as well!!!!

Tabasco,I like the picture of the sweet Joe better than the color of mine!
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.