Bunny Question

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I am having a problem at my church with bunnies eating plants on one end of the flower bed. They have munched marigolds and the bottom foliage off of some taller zinnia plants that I planted. There is yarrow also in this area and it doesn't look like they are eating it. I hate to leave this area empty cause weeds tend to take over pretty fast if something isn't growing there. I would like something that flowers. The area is full sun and the plants need to be about a foot or less tall. Anybody have any suggestions on things that bunnies won't eat, that bloom in full sun and aren't that tall. Anybody know if they won't touch yarrow cause I'm thinking I may plant a few more yarrow.

Should I try to catch and release the bunny elsewhere or is it likely there are a bunch of bunnies that are feasting? The church is in the city but there are fields on the side and to the back of the church. They seem to just be eating in this one area. I've never had this problem at my home so I'm not sure what to do.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Patty

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have been dealing with deer and I noticed, when looking for deer deterrents, that there are a number of products available to repel rabbits. I could tell one of them had mothballs in it. I don't know if there are children or pets that might get into these beds but if not, maybe you could just put mothballs under the plants.

I am planting more salvias in hopes that the animals won't want to munch them too much.
Good luck

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Patty.. my suggestion: put a feeder tray out with bunny food away from the flower bed.. keep it full enough to keep them eating for a week at a time..then get some inexpensive plastic squirrel netting and surround the flower bed.. they will forget about your flowers..

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

Some perennials are: catmint, salvia, daylily, and daffodils for spring. They don't get too tall, and should be OK in your zone.

I have heard that strongly scented plants are repellent, so I am surprised about the marigolds being eaten...

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Ardesia do you know if rabbits or any wildlife dislike salvia?

Deb how visible is squirrel netting? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Patty

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Julie you should have seen it. The marigolds were eaten all the way down to the ground. I initially thought some one had dug them up and taken them until I got right over the flower bed I bet there was 10 or 12 plants that were eaten all the way down . LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some daylilies right now that I might be able to divide and take up there when the weather cools down some. I am wanting to plant more perrenials instead of annuals and not having to water as often would be a plus also.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Netting is either black or green so far that I have gotten.. at walmart or lowes, less money at walmart.. I cut it and use it around my flower fence to keep Dog, Cat and critters out.. feeding the critters away from the area gets them away long enough to cover the border with the netting..It cuts easily with scizzors and can be used over and over..

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Feeding can be a dangerous precedent to start. Sometimes they bring their neighbors and cousins to the buffet. :-)

I know the deer have not eaten any of the salvia because (I am told) it smells so bad.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I am thinking day lilies or maybe more yarrow. I also have some amaryllus bulbs and although they would be a little taller I'm thinking I could possibly use a few on each end.

I'll also look into salvias. I've never grown much salvia but if they won't eat it, I'll start keeping an eye out for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.