Any Jamaicans out there?

kingston, Jamaica

I haven't seen any posts from members living in Jamaica. Are there are Jamaicans out there? As a novice gardener, I am curious about what experiences you've had growing veggies and fruits there.

Keaau, HI

Hows'it Reninja! If you don't find any Jamaicans, don't forget that several of us other members are "out there".

How long have you been there? Do you live in town?

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 5:30 PM

Xai Xai, Mozambique

maybe you should try checking the memberlist, to see if there are other members from jamaica. you can then maybe send them a Dmail.
i live in mozambique, and thats what i did, and i found out there are 7 other members in Mozambique! i sent Dmails to two of them, but no response as of yet.
westraad

kingston, Jamaica

I moved here from the US 7 months ago and am living in Kingston. I am planning avegetable garden for my kids and am trying to figure out what grows well and can stand the heat here. I want to plant things that will be fun for the kids, useful to us and that will also be attractive in our garden and in containers. I have seen seeds for red okras, blue string beans and purple carrots among other fun veggies. Any other ideas?

Rainbow Chard doesn't mind the heat, and can be used cooked or raw, and is so colorful.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha reninja, and welcome! How very nice to have someone from Jamaica join us! We'd love some photos of your beautiful island you know! When I think of Jamaica I think of happy music and swashbucklers!

Jen

This message was edited Aug 13, 2009 5:51 AM

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I was in Jamaica in May and remember seeing a lot of Banana trees and a few Alocasia's. In May they were just getting into their "Rain" season. I was at Negril. Love it and wish I could afford to go back.

Port Saint Lucie, FL

akee is the national fruit of jamaica. i have never tried one but pictures i have seen are very intresting.

kingston, Jamaica

I love ackee. It is the second half of the national dish, ackee and salted cod fish. It looks like scrambled eggs when cooked. But you have to be very careful with it because it contains a deadly poisonous substance that is released when it ripens. So it is important to know that you have gotten your ackee from a reputable source.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hmmm...like puffer fish, I think I will pass on Ackee. I don't like the idea of thinking that my meal may kill me! You are brave!

Yokwe,
Shari

Xai Xai, Mozambique

i'll pass on the Ackee too, poisonous plants are not my favorite! its the same with Arum Lilies, they are very, very poisonous, but if you cook them, they are not. i haven't tried it, and don't plant to either.
westraad

St. Thomas, Barbados

hi reninja,
i'm jamaican born but living in barbados. welcome to the caribbean. we're into the hurricane season now and jamaica is often affected, so you should stock up on canned stuff, biscuits, water, flashlights etc. and listen to the weather news. as a neighbouring island we grow the same things, and herbs are always exciting to grow in a small space. in addition to the traditional ones like thyme and marjoram, there are lots of types of basil - cinnamon, lime, and purple basil; and there is tarragon that not just smells and tastes great but has lots of lovely yellow flowers that are also edible. godd luck in jamaica. good luck with your gardenm

Tilaran, Costa Rica

Don't you guys be so nervous.
A Lima beans can kill you if eaten raw.
Monstera deliciosa will frugg you up if eaten before the kernels " pop"
Lebanese have been known to have adverse effects from Tabouleh.. Parsley overdose.

The list goes on forever. Chill !
Orange alert in the falling empire does not mean much either.

Keaau, HI

Akee is perfectly safe when it cracks open on the tree. Then it is good for breakfast.
If you toss it with eggs, a little garlic & olive oil, sea salt: No Worries!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.