Flowering in Australia *August 2009*

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Here is my Allamanda Cheri flowerering, hasn't stopped this winter because it's been such a mild winter........

This message was edited Aug 7, 2009 6:15 AM

Thumbnail by MyaC

Lipsticks still flowering........

Thumbnail by MyaC
barmera, Australia

They're taking over but so pretty.

Thumbnail by ctmorris
West of Brisbane, Australia

Mya, that Allamanda looks like my 'Cherry Ripe', although yours might have a slightly richer colour. Mine has wrapped itself around the medium champaca and isn't flowering now.

Here's what I thought was a Cassia alata, growing in an empty block behind the local shops. But I realised when cleaning the seeds for Chrissy that the seeds and seedpods are different from the Cassia alata seed that I bought from a reliable supplier on ebay. So it's not a C. alata ... but it's definitely some type of cassia. Anyway, it's tough--it gets sun all day here and no care whatsoever. Seems to flower for most of the year.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's the Cassia alata flowering in my garden a few years ago. I see now that the flowers are different--the unopened tips of the flowers are light rather than dark in colour. The leaves look larger too. I'm having trouble remembering the seedpods, but the seeds are definitely differently shaped. The seeds on this plant are sort of heart-shaped (sort of), whereas the ones on the other cassia are shaped like grains of wheat.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 10:40 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

That first pic is the didywhatis I was talking about ...well you know where you can get the seeds now ...you see why I love it? beautiful golden blooms through winter ...I had quite of few of them I sowed from seed they are up and flowering very quickly ...hubby killed them all apart from one small self seeded one, I fell in love with them at the Taronga Park zoo ...so bright and happy right in the middle of winter, if you don't chop it back after flowering it will get get the borer in ...(here anyway).Lovely picture of it.
That allamanda is very pretty mya ...I have lost many of them here because of the cold ...I just look at others these days.My cherry ripe one was a much deeper shade here, never came back after the -5C a couple of years ago.
Here are my mini yellow orchids starting up ...

Thumbnail by

Quoting:
Mya, that Allamanda looks like my 'Cherry Ripe', although yours might have a slightly richer colour.

Cestrum My Allamanda has even a richer colour than that ,if I remember I'll take a pic of that bud when it opens ,the burgandy colour of 'Cherie' is much deeper than 'Cherry Ripe'.My neighbour has 'Cherry Ripe" and I have about 3 cuttings that have taken but they haven't flowered for me as yet, to do the comparison on here.......

But seriously it is called Senna Didymobotrya (whew!).
Here are some of the congo parrots starting to bloom smallest cuttings are blooming first ...

Thumbnail by

Ironically, I've just found it mentioned in a book on tropical flowering plants: Cassia didymobotrya (aka Senna didymobotrya). Described as being similar to C. alata but with bronze bracts and smaller leaflets. Here is a pic of it, described as an 'alien invader plant' because of its invasiveness:
http://www.geocities.com/wessaaliens/species/peanut.htm

Anyway, Chrissy, you're getting seeds of both of them ...

I think I have the first Angel froggie ...homely little tike, but I will give it 2 flowering seasons before dismissing it.

Thumbnail by

Thanks very much ...no invader here ...too cold in the Winter and heavy clay (I grow them in built up beds with sand incorporated into the soil) I do love them. Great shelter for the Angels!
last of whats left of the seedling blooms ...much frizzling after the frost ...they did pretty well to open and last a few days though ...

Thumbnail by
barmera, Australia

Chrissy, What did you mean about the first angel froggie?

colleen those sailor boy daisies are very pretty and great corner fillers ...I have triffid corners around here, at the moment the grass is winning but soon the geraniums will take over

Thumbnail by

Well when I first thought about breeding angel's trumpets I was told and read about how most of the time the seedling blooms would be plain white blooms but would carry nice coloured genes ...the comments were often along the lines of "you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince", so what I mean is that this last froggie picture is perhaps only a frog (but it smells wonderful).
My very first seedling had wonderful tendrils but because it bloomed at the wrong time I did not think it was wonderful ...now in different conditions ...it is beautiful. So I will give this current "froggie" a chance.

Thumbnail by

and Butterbomb

Thumbnail by
Barmera, Australia

G'Day Why Froggie, Chrissy?
Brian

Hi brian ...did you read my response to colleen ...it is just a nice angel, nothing outstanding about it (smells lovely but then most do) the tendrils are not special though "nice" colour is non descript ... however I think I have been quite spoilt by the surprise lovelies so far. Time will tell, another season may prove it more attractive since it is very cold still overnight and there is frost damage. Don't worry I am watching it.

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

The Cassia looks beautiful Cestrum. I am partial to yellow in the garden, especially through winter when things start to look a bit drab. No doubt in my climate it would get out of hand.
My Allamandas have dropped their remaining unopened buds, but still have most of their leaves on, which indicates we haven't had as cold a winter as in the past (yet). I have to keep telling myself to wait untill it warms up before pruning them back.
Your froggie looks ok to me Chrissy. I had to face facts and cut down my old white Angel NOID this morning, as it began to flower and this is the third time it has synchronised with a migraine, so I'm pretty sure its the culprit. It was outside my bedroom window, so i guess i've been breathing in its extremely strong fragrance over night. I still have an apricot and pink, both have no noticeable fragrance (I've not sniffed close up) and are not so close to the windows, and i am going to replace the old NOID with a Brazilian red cloak (Megaskepasma) which will love the spot (morning sun)
These are my first Iris of the season. They all opened today!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Hi sue I hear you are going away ...Shame about the brug but if it gives you a headache ...I rarely have a headache but used to years ago during certain "times" of you know what ...in defense of the beautiful angels trumpet ...I think young women these days have many pressures and triggers for headaches ...
http://living.health.com/2008/01/29/5-surprising-things-that-give-you-headaches/
The fragrance of certain plants may have an effect on you during certain times much more than others, I think your choice of the brazilian cloak is a good one, when you get back I will send you the mini cordyline cuttings ...I hope you have a wonderful trip.
The iris are very pretty mine don't bloom until late Sept/early Oct here but who knows what the heck is going to bloom when.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

I am sure you have well and truely found your "Prince" Chrissy! :)

Here is a "Froggy" in our garden. The Primula, Forget-me-nots and Honesty are all self-sown. These grow over the Daffs and the Bluebells that will flower later in the month and September.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Magnolia 'Elizabeth'.

Lovely citrus blooms.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

A special little visitor "blooming" in the garden today was this wonderful Rainbow Lorikeet. He or she has a colour mutation, in that the back band is orange rather than green. Looking very happy there in the branches of Acer palmatum 'Senkaki'.

The coral red branches of this Japanese Maple cv. are displayed only in the colder months. We are lucky to have this effect so far north. I guess our slight frosts might help.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

So pretty wayne we will get 1C here tomorrow they reckon ...so different to Sydney ...Love those ruby twigs!
You have some lovely things in your garden ...and it's winter when it is the hardest. A lot of your things are out very early or is that normal where you are?
Something is chewing the petals off my pink magnolia ...I don't have possoms and don't know what could be doing it, birds? ...this has never happened before.
The days are so nice though once the sun comes up.

Thumbnail by

Butter Bomb and Glass House Angel (noid) a comparison of sizes.
Butter Bomb is the larger bloom of course (I mangled him a bit shoving him in there) but you can still see the size.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 10:29 AM

Thumbnail by

and

Thumbnail by

Finally

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Almost ready to head off on an adventure! Yes Chrissy, you are correct about the certain times! Poor old Angel was in synch with me. It got so the fragrance was beginning to turn my stomach, it was so strong. Your butterbomb looks gorgeous.
Wayne, lovely pictures and I think the lorikeet is very beautiful. Your garden must be quite a joy to you.
I will leave you with the Federation daisies. As you say Chrissy, things are blooming crazy! That is just one Iris, there are several yet to even form flower spikes! It has been a very mild winter here so far. (fingers crossed)
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Just beautiful Chrissy! I have emailed you, but thank you here for your Brug seeds. Be assured of their safe travel! :)

Magnolias are doing their thing here.

This one is named 'Star Wars'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Another photo of M. 'Star Wars'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Here is Magnolia stellata. My Mum calls this "The Fairy Tree". :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

A closer look at the bloom of Magnolia stellata. I think ours here is the species. It has a slightly mauve tint.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Lovely magnolias Wayne,do they have a strong scent? and your lorikeet is stunning........

here's my Allamanda, just opening,the burgundycolour is very strong......

Thumbnail by MyaC

My parrot/congo ......

Thumbnail by MyaC

and check out the buds on my Lady slipper vine..........

Thumbnail by MyaC

I have a few Stictocardia seeds that have germinated....here's yours Judy.....

Thumbnail by MyaC
Barmera, Australia

Almond Blossom time in "The Riverland of SA". At this time of the year there are acres and acres of Almonds in flower.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Brian, those orchards must look spectacular! I wonder if the apiarists have seasonal work there?

Mya, that Alamanda is stunning! I did not know that they came in colours other than yellow. My Grandpa had a beautiful yellow one growing up a huge crepe myrtle in Vanuatu. It would be in full bloom when the crepe myrtle was without flower.

The Magnolias are lovely this year in Sydney, that is those left alone by the possums. I cannot take up the scent, however I am told it is similar to Camellia sasanqua. I don't know.

We have a "resident" pair of Rainbow lorries here. As you can see in this photo, the normal back banding is green. The little fellow with the orange band has not been back. I hope he is OK. I did a little homework and have found that there are numerous mutations in this breed.

Too early here for "Congo", however I have kept ours safe from frost and hope for a flock of parrot flowers soon! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Haemanthus coccineus, the Paint brush or Blood lily. How are yours going Judy?
Does anyone know if the species name I have given is correct?

These plants are in pots. I was originally given two bulbs years back, They were doing very well, and I had hoped to plant them out a year or so back. To my horror, I returned home from work one afternoon last year to find that the sulphur crested cockatoos had chewed the bulbs and flowers! Not only that, every bloom on Magnolia 'Elizabeth' was cut off, wilted on the lawn! :(

Between the white cockies and the possums so much damage is done here in local gardens.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Lovely pictures everyone ...won't chat because I have a rotten tummy thing (everyone has it ...) I have to say that I love the romantic story of a the almond trees and the the homesick wife ...read on
http://www.carvoeiro.com/Newsletters/03_2008.html
hope everyone has a great weekend.

Thumbnail by
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Oh Chrissy, you are a romantic! :)

Get well soon friend.

Your angel seeds are safe with me, just waiting for September to plant. Meanwhile the fairies in our garden dance the night away under starlight and moon, bidding frost goodbye and heralding the dawn.

Thank goodness for "spy cam" in our garden! This snap was taken at 3:33 this morning. Sorry folks, for some strange reason all pix turned out in sepia and the background was removed. Those garden fairies are a cunning lot! :))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.