fencing suggestions

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I didn't know what forum to put this in, so I'll try here first. I figure you guys should know about fencing! I'm not a farmer ... I live in deer country and we have a 40 x 90 foot area that we turned into a garden (mostly flowers and some veggies) with a fence around it. The fence is 6 feet high and unfortunately the holes are rather large so now rabbits can get in -- that's one problem (do rabbits eat tomatoes--something is ...)

But the worst problem for me is that we have an unusually large number of birds visiting our yard and we have lost some because of our fence -- it seems the wire is a smaller diameter than chain link and in certain lights the birds don't seem to see it and break their necks -- this is horrible. I need a solution to this -- it's not like its hundreds of birds dying but the occasional cedar waxing or catbird dying because of our fence is not acceptable to me. I've been trying to grow stuff up the fence but it is slow going. Does anyone have a suggestion short of replacing the whole 40 x 90 foot fence, which my husband is not too happy about! It's hard to find 6 foot fencing in the first place. It was a lot of work putting it in and its stapled to cedar posts. If we have to, that's what we'll do though, piece by piece ... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here's an idea of what the garden looks like - multiple flower beds and veggies in the back ...

Thumbnail by crockny
This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!