outdoor vermicomposting in virginia beach (zone8a)

Virginia Beach, VA

Hello all, I am in zone 8a and in the process of building a wooden bin. I would like to keep my bin outside if possible. I was wondering what others might do in similar zones. I was considering partially burying my box (approximately 50in X 24in X 24 in) or maybe leaving it open bottomed so the wigglers could run deeper in the winter. Please share your tips, thanks.

Is the 50in the depth? That seems deep enough to get below any danger of frost. My advice is to surround your box on all 6 sides with hay or straw. They are wonderfully insulating, against both heat and cold.

Virginia Beach, VA

no, 50 inches is the length. Im thinking of maybe burying it as winter comes on.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Do yall have fire ants? (Not sure how far north they area.) They can be a problem with open outdoor bins, cause it's like a big ol candy box.

Virginia Beach, VA

supposedly fire ants have recently made it this far north, but I have yet to encounter them.

Columbia, SC

Fire ants cannot move to far up north, because they are active year around. The deep freeze would kill them.

Virginia Beach, VA

update - i have an outdoor bin and after the first cold snap that we received here with 2 weeks of freezing temps, i pretty much thought that my worms were goners. it has been an extremely cold winter here. i did some garden prep this weekend and much to my surprise when i looked in my bin my worms were still alive in the center of my pile - even when some of the outer edges of the pile were frozen. i guess they are hearty little suckers. i have since moved the bin into a full sun area and placed it in contact with the ground. i will be partially burying the bin so they will have better overwintering conditions in the future and also creating a raised bed composting area next to the bin for excess materials and winter composting.

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi themadgaffler,
How about getting some straw bales and build an enclosure around the bin in the winter.
The next spring you can use the bales to plant tomatoes and other plants. Old bales make great mulch.
Another subject: Our daughter was stationed in the Navy at Portsmouth. She lived in VB. We had a great time visiting, would love to return someday. She is a Mom in Oregon now.
Paul.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I have 3 - 40 gallon plastic storage tubs for worm bins. They are mounted on a platform of cement blocks (i.e., 8 inches above the ground). I am also in zone 8B and the worms survived the cold wave under 4 layers of tarps. The species is Eisenia fetida. The tubs are in a wooded place in my yard. Fire ants don't like the shade so they have not been a problem. I prefer plastic to wood because they last longer.

To harvest vermicompost, I simply start feeding in the opposite end. In a month or so all the worm have moved to the new end and the old end is finished and ready to remove. I maintain a "valley" between the two ends. It goes all the way to the bottom of the bin. I suppose you could place a perforated partition between the two parts and there by increase the volume of material the bin could contain.

Gardener Ed

Thumbnail by ecschroeder

Hi Ed,
I like the valley concept!
Do you wait until most of the food on one side is depleted, or do the worms not change sides and look for more until they have depleted the first side?
Still looking for ways to improve my system, and this sounds like a good one.
Thanks,
Julia

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

They go where the good (new) stuff is and leave the old when it is finished; i.e., composted. The valley refills to 2 - 3 inches over a few day's time. It is here that large concentrations of worms can be found. They seem to like the moisture and goo that collects in the "valley." I take advantage of this by using a 3 tined garden handtool to pick up gobs of them and place them on top of the newly added garbage on the top of the new pile. Worms will crawl down through, depositing worm poop as they go. I believe this speeds the decomposition of the newly added material. I then top the mess with finished compost (not the vermicompost variety). The finished compost adds new organisms/biology to the "ferment" and discourages fruit flies.

So, picture a rectangular box with material sloped up on either end from the center; old on one end and new feedstock on the other. Besides the convenience of harvesting, there is more suface area for ventilation.

Thanks Ed! I'll be trying that method out as soon as this gloomy weather gives me a break! Is it spring yet?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

OK Ed, I need a photo. I tried that method and all my little red wriggle babies stayed all over the top of my bin. I do not have a light on top and I keep the top on my bin because of lack of humidity The bin is also in the house for temperature. But they are very active and multiplying in leaps and bounds. This is my easy time, summer will be to hot every where. I will keep you posted. Another episode from the South West. Las Vegas says thank you for giving of some of your rain and go DG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.