Bauhinia yunnanensis

Gainesville, FL

I have grown this from seed and currently have it in my greenhouse where it does well.
I have recently read that it is supposedly in fact hardy in my area (zone 8B/9A hump).
Has anyone actually had experience with growing this outside over a winter with a freeze or 2 down to maybe 22-24F? Did it actually make it?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They seem fine here, although I'd say the temps were 28F..

Gainesville, FL

nevertheless that is encouraging

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have 2 of them outside, and they don't seem to be bothered. They are in protected areas, 1 on the deck other against a fence. Zone9 keeps his outside all year.

Gainesville, FL

I have some microclimates that I am certain I could do it. My yard here at this house is overall not as warm as my old yard, because we are out in the country with no huge masses of concrete and no other structures in close proximity. We do have a huge tree canopy though and that helps. The old house was in a historic neighborhood where the houses were so close you could spit in your neighbors bedroom windows in many cases, LOL and I had all sorts of things out there year round...plumeria, heliconia rostrata...

I managed to get 2 plants of the Bau Yu to sprout from seeds last year and have nice plants growing in the GH. I got some more seeds and have sprouted one other plant so far that I want to trial out.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

There is a place of similar description here that has the tree canopy..he really gets away with growing all sorts of things..I buy a few plants there when he has sales..he has a sale...it's always colder out there, yet with the canopy of trees he gets by.
www.jerrysjungle.com

Gainesville, FL

LOL I saw several of my plants in that photoshow.
But where Jerry and I live are somewhat different. I live in what is called a hammock here in FL. The trees on my property are mostly in excess of 70-80 feet, some are 100-120 ft tall, so the canopy here is way above the canopy Jerry seems to have in his photos. We also have naturally occuring water on the property that helps keep the ground warmer in certain areas. Any canopy is great no matter type, though. It can raise your climate hardiness zone a half to a full step

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought you'd appreciate that!
Those are some tall tree's ! but your right..they make a difference.
I just picked up a variegate heliconia from a guy at the parks department here.

Gainesville, FL

My place out here is strange. I am warm, I have put thermometers out in various locations in the yard to see the temp differences to know where the warmer spots are, there can be as much as an 6-8 degree difference in some parts of the property. Just down the road about 15 miles from here they get teens on nights we are in the mid to upper 20's. Its a microclimate working for certain.

Which one did you get, El Tigre??

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is the same around here...it takes just a few miles, sometimes blocks to enter a freeze zone..I'm always just above freezing when the cold hits..of course there are times.....
yes El Tigre

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.