Wisteria Pruning

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I need advice on whether to prune my wisteria. I had no idea it would grow this fast. I really want to prune it a lot but I don't want to do something that would cause it not to bloom. Here is a pic of it now

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is was in late April. I'd like for it to be somewhere in between these sizes... LOL

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

This is June... I kind of like this...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I would trim the strays. It is not quite as big as it looks. There are Texas Sage shrubs on each side of it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In another thread, I'd posted a link to an article on pruning wisteria, you may find that helpful http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6856104 I also think your arbor is a bit on the small side for it--it's a huge heavy vine so it typically needs a large sturdy support. If you're really, really on top of the pruning maybe you can make it work, but it's definitely going to require extra effort on your part and you may have to prune it more severely than you normally would to keep it an appropriate size for that support.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you! That is very helpful!

Carol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had wisteria for over 40 years. Built two large arbors for it and then added wire between them and the house. Best shade in the whole block.
One stem can easily grow three feet a day and that is not an exaggeration.
I love it.

Thumbnail by LouC
Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

wisteria blooms on growth of previous year so cut back after blooming way back since it will grow crazy all summer

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

wow louc - what a gorgeous yard! In another thread I was inquiring about Blue Moon wisteria - I am toying with the idea of accepting a Blue Moon Wisteria gift from my friend. So I am researching this because currently I do not have any arbor structures in my yard. I was thinking of planting it on a chain link fence but a fellow Dave Gardener said a wisteria would "chew it up and spit it out". scary. So I guess I better not do that since it's my neighbors fence. She has given me permission to plant vines onto her fence - but I don't think she wants me to wreck her fence. Anyway thanks for the great pic.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

blue moon is wonderfull since it blooms on new growth
it will bloom from spring till fall

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

You can cut it to the ground and pull up as many roots as you can and it will come back quicker than you can blink 50 times.. and it will STILL bloom like crazy.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I just want to go live on LouC's porch....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You are welcome at any time. Just d-mail and I will give you the directions. We are actually a suburb of Dallas. Only 14 miles to downtown Dallas.

We prune after bloom and also mid Summer ...mid summer you prune the long green whippy shoots.

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.