Deadheading

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

This is the first year I have grown a hydrangea. The blooms are fading. Should I deadhead them like any perennial ? Should I cut the bloom just below it, or take the stem all the way back to the base ?

Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you don't want to look at the spent blooms then it won't hurt anything to cut them off, but if your hydrangea is one that only blooms on old wood then it won't keep them blooming either. I'm assuming yours is a Hydrangea macrophylla? (they are the most common type, with the blue or pink flowers depending on your soil) If it was one of the Endless Summer or Forever and Ever series then you can get some blooms on new growth, but most of them bloom on old wood so you just get the one set of blooms a year (and if yours is one of the ones that just blooms on old wood, in your zone you will need to protect it over the winter or else the buds tend to freeze off and you don't get any flowers). As far as where to cut, if the bush needs a bit of thinning then you can cut the branch all the way back to the base, but if you're happy with the shape and don't want to prune it then you can just snip off the faded bloom.

Hi Ecrane3 - Thank you for your quick answer ! Mine is a Hydrangea macrophylla "Dooley". I saved the thread about wintering hydrangeas, but everyone seems to have a different way of protecting. What do you do ?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't do anything--I'm in a warm enough zone that they don't need protecting. I've seen a lot of people say that they build a cage around the plant and fill it up with leaves in the fall--seems like that's the easiest thing to do since most people have plenty of leaves around. But some people use burlap or other techniques too, guess it just depends on what seems easiest to you given the materials that you have around.

I forgot you are in sunny California. Thanks for your answer, though.
I guess I'll have to pick one method and try it out.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Countrymom I have to winter protect here and I used burlap and straw last year. This year I am going to use chicken wire and straw.

I only deadhead the really raggy blooms. As they age they change colors and can be just as nice.

bookreader451 - Thank you for your suggestion. I did buy burlap, but I don't know what to do with it. Should I tie up the branches ? Where to you put the straw ?

I remember reading someone insulates with bubble wrap. What do you think of that idea ? Seems less messy than straw.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Last year I sewed the burlap in tubes around the hydrangea and then filled it with straw. I want something more structured this year and I froze my fingers off sewing with huge needle and dental floss. I may still wrap the burlap around the chickenwire.

As for bubblewrap it won't breathe like straw or oak leaves. You don't want your plant breaking dormacy too soon and I think bubblewrap may cause it to warm too much. I am not sure not having used it but just a theory.

I know that can happen with rose cones.

bookreader451 -

Thanks for your input. I was wondering how to secure the burlap. I guess I'll skip the bubble wrap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.