Microbial Fuel Cells

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/0907292108

Scientist at the U of MA appear to have a major achievement.

“In very short order we increased the power output by eight-fold, as a conservative estimate,” says Lovley. “With this, we’ve broken through the plateau in power production that’s been holding us back in recent years.” Now, planning can move forward to design microbial fuel cells that convert waste water and renewable biomass to electricity, treat a single home’s waste while producing localized power (especially attractive in developing countries), power mobile electronics, vehicles and implanted medical devices, and drive bioremediation of contaminated environments.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. Are you willing to give up your compost pile for a lower electric bill? For sure, I'd like to recycle what exits the sewer pipe. Can you picture 2 motorist standing in the middle of the road arguing over a dead possum so they can take it home for their bugs? Silly you say? Maybe not.

I scan Science Daily 2 or 3 times a week to see what's happening and these are exciting times indeed, on all fronts. I believe science will save us but we better have some $ to take advantage of it.

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!