Unusual Double Blooms

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I planted a bunch of seeds last January and this is the first one to bloom. The center is a rosy color with fluted petals. It looks almost like some kind of allium in the center. I like the way the cone is smaller because these don't flop when it rains. It's also a very compact plant about 12-14 inches tall. Do you like this one?

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

Here's a photo showing more of the blooms...

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Boston, MA

I love the center cone on this one. Very pretty indeed. The 2nd picture showing more flowers, I like how the flowers look like the old pin wheel thingies I played with as a kid.
Ayah

The color of these is so pretty. It's not the same color as Pink Double Delight. The center is a berry color and the petals are kind of to the lavender side. The thing that stands out to me is how the center looks like a cluster of a bunch of star shaped flowers. I'm going to propagate this sucker!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I like these. I have a seedling from Razmatazz that is similar to yours but with a larger cone. It is very tall and like Raz except for the color which is more purple coneflower than bubble gum pink. It is strong and doesn't flop. Yours is pretty and with the smaller cones has a no flop advantage too. It also looks very prolific with lots of blooms. Very worthwhile propagating I think.

Thumbnail by ngam
Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

how do you propagate them? Istill have to google words to find there meaning...lol

jmr

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Charming is the word that comes to mind, Clint. So now we see why you want to get into tc and stuff:))

ngam - I like your plant too. I'd like to see that when it opens all the way. I have tried Razzmatazz from seeds several years but my plant doesn't produce any good seeds. They are so tiny and never germinated. I get many more seeds from the other doubles I've grown.

The only frustrating thing for me is how difficult it is to propagate these. That's why I've been studying them for a few years trying to improve my cutting success. I have found that lighting them 24/7 is very important or the cuttings don't take as well.

Tissue Culture is very difficult to do, but I know people who can do it and they insist that I can do it too. I like learning new things so this is all fun to me. I would love to propagate this and share it with my friends but it's in full bloom so that will have to wait.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I had very little to do with this one, except not pull it out. LOL It popped up all by itself and the original Raz plants have long since gone away, go figure. It is very tall and branches pretty well. Not as pretty this year as last due to the crummy weather and bug attacks.
Here's a pic from last year with more mature flowers.
I really like those button cones more every time I look at your pic. I was trying to think what the flower shape was reminding me of then I finally got it, those pretty small seaholly flowers. You know the small bunchy ones. They would make a nice companion for you pretty baby I think.

Thumbnail by ngam

What would you call this plant? LOL. I can't call it any dessert names. Those are all taken!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, how about Raspberry Buttons, Buttons 'N Bows, Raspberry Star, Berry Nice ?

Thanks for those name ideas. It does look like buttons n bows. It's so difficult to choose.

This is a new type of bloom form. I've looked at all my doubles and none of them have a center with these star flowers in them.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Very nice bloom. I really like that one. Buttons and Bows is a pretty good name for it also. Great looking now just need to tissue culture it for us so we can all get one. Would love to have that in my garden...

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Cute name I agree:) You are both quite lucky to have found these pretties. One of these days we can say we knew you when, lol!

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Echmaniac,

I think that bloom is very unique and I like it (even though I'm not into the pinks). Give me a red or orange like that and I'd be in love! You know, because of the "stars" in the middle, you could call it starstruck. The petals even look kind of like paths from shooting stars. Cool. Hey, kind of like fireworks, too.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 2:22 PM

Thanks.

I'm looking at this plant right now and the centers are so nice. They glow because the color is so much darker. It's strange because the centers feel like those strawflower blooms. It's more of a berry color. The petals are a pink that's kind of lavender.

Another good thing about this plant is it has over 30 blooms at a time.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2009 1:49 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.