Alpines (and wannabes) in August

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Not too much blooming now, except Campanula, but Gentians are starting and a few other odds and ends. Here is G. cruciata..or maybe dahurica..these mid-summer gentians can be confusing.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula tatra...I expect this is a form of rotundifolia.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Daphne Lawrence Crocker is having its mid-summer flush

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

First bloom is open on Cyclamen purpurascens

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The last primroses of the season..this is P. glomerata

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and P. poissonii

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

pdd

I ALWAYS enjoy your
fotos! Where were
these taklen? Your home
garden ?

How is the weather there right now?

Have you had a "normal"
summer ? ( whatever normal means LOL)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice stuff, Todd, as always. Wow, that P. glomerata still has a LOT of buds coming! A most excellent specimen!

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Conandron ramondioides is bloomig.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Never heard of that genus...I don't think it would be hardy in my area.

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hi Todd,

Conandron ramondioides is indigenous to mountains with a mild climate in Japan.
I think the overwintering minimum temperature is 23℉ or so.

Some of you may already know I collect dried seed structures of all different plants. Remember this pic with the papery "calyxes" of Acantholinum hokanekeri? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6778178

They make a nice little miniature bouquet. For each flower that was fertilized, a single seed is produced.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

sweet arrangement Rick! BTW, I managed to get 4 plants from the Fibigia seed you sent me...they are quite large...looking forward to seeing the dried-flower results next year.

Wow Todd, I figured those Fibigea to grow and sprout like weeds! I have been very careful not to allow too many seeds to drop on the ground for fear of them taking over. Maybe I don't have to worry after all.

Scutellaria baicalensis, easy to grow from seed.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The Fibigia were not that great at germination for me, but maybe it was something I did!

Allium flavum...almost as much a weed as Allium cyathophorum

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

an orange form of A. flavum that came from Mark McDonnough

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Not an alpine as such but you could get away with it is Digitalis parviflora. We are growing this one at work...I didn't think I'd like it but it grows on you...like a poor-mans Echium-effect

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

a close-up

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Back in my garden...Roscoea scilloides. I have grown this as alpina from several different sources and so far, all have turned out to be scilloides which is a poor substitute for the real thing.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm keeping an eye on this Saxifrage....it came as seed of longifolia from Harry Jans but obviously it is something different.....very attractive rosettes.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Agreed. I prefer Digitalis trojana, myself, although it does grow a foot higher.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Todd that daphe is lovely. My daphne tangutica is in full bloom right now! Here is leucojum autumnale, quite appropriate as I already have cyclamen starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Nice Leucojum, Galanthophile. I was just reading up on Leucojum vs. Acis somehere . . . oh wait, that was Todd's article!

Now I find that, in fact, my Acantholinum hokanekeri did not produce any seed at all. What I thought was a single seed was merely a hard "something", common to most of the spent flowers.

Since I didn't even get one seed, I am wondering if Acantholinum is self infertile? I only have one plant and there were insects visiting the blooms daily.

Admittedly a terrible pic, but here be Phemeranthus calycinus.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Sanguisorba officinalis L. in my garden. It's a lovely wildflower.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I grow my Acis (Leucojum) autumnalis is pots as they are not hardy here...just repotted and started watering them last week. They should be in bloom in about a month, so yours are early in my book! However, the first Cyclamen hederifolium (actually planted in the garden) are showing buds.

Yes autumn in fast approaching!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Say it isn't so!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Allium sikkimense:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Dianthus amurensis:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Cyclamen purpurascens:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Allium cyaneum:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Campanula x 'Peter Nix':

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Sanguisorba dodecandra:

Beautiful plants - the sanguisorba is nice. Love the allium but I fear I have lost my specimen..

All very nice, Alta. I have several A. sikkimense from seed this year from NARGS. I hope that is what they really are.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My sikkimense died but cyaneum is still surviving. Nice show still Alta....I don't have much 'new' blooming.

Not much here either, well I do have Scilla scilloides blooming.

And I also had a nice surprise with Verbascum nigrum. I had even let it go to seed, and it still put out another flush of flowers. This is the June/July bloom:

Thumbnail by Leftwood

And this is the second flush, one week ago.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I was just catching up here with some photos from August, as I was negligent in posting! (I have also started a thread for September for the new things for the current month.)

Yes, I have quite a few Verbascum nigrum (also V. blattaria) in bloom throughout the yard. Actually, there is still a fair bit in bloom, though not many new things anymore. V. roripifolium and V. oreophilum have been interesting (and are also still in bloom).... I'll check back to see if I posted them already or not.
My Scilla scilloides will bloom this year - yippee! - unfortunately, it only blooms intermittently, maybe due (as we discussed previously) to less water than it would like.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have never tried Scilla scilloides....never had access to them. I expect the Colchicums will be showing shortly.

Allium tuberosum is out at the moment.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.