Full garden shots

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

As a recent iris addict (thanks to this forum!) I am trying to decide if I want to put in an "iris garden" or just place them in and around my mixed perennial border beds.

I am having a hard time finding full shots of gardens and how irises are used, so I'm hoping you all have some pictures to share. Any kind of iris will do, and I'd love to see shots of how you place them even if they're not blooming. I'd also love to see iris-only gardens as well, because I like that look too. I just can't decide!
Thanks,
Susanne

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is the best Idea that I like. It is easy too. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
South Hamilton, MA

The pavers certainly keep them from growing into each other.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, you said any irises. Here's my sibs in the border.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And a close up of the iris planting. It's sib Coronation Anthem.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Like the Paver idea for a spot I have. Love Your mixed bed Polly and coronation Anthem is always an eye catcher.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Polly, that last photo would make a beautiful painting!!

Both of the above garden shots have really nice layouts for your irises.

They're beautiful! Keep em coming!

See here's my problem...I like both of those, even though they are so different.
Maybe I should post a picture and see what you all think.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Another view

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

One more

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Ok I just ran out and took one. This is a newer bed, obviously still in transition. Yesterday after I went to a local iris sale, I moved a bunch of the new ones and my old ones around and put them all in one clump in this bed. Are they too close, too far, will it look ok?

(Please don't mind the dead grass, I'm about to put in a new pathway.)

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
South Hamilton, MA

Are they planted too deep? The rhizome is a food storage stem & should not be planted too deep. They may be a bit close, but ok for one yr.

I definitely made sure that the rhizome is part way showing - I learned that the hard way a couple years ago :-)

Cherryvale, KS

Happy Sunday BIF's! Great garden shots! If I have garden shot it is on conventional equipment, and I can't post. A couple of years ago a friend and her granddaughter(Emily) were sitting in the side yard with all the iris in bloom. My husband went up on the roof to take pictures. When he stepped out on the roof Emily exclaimed PETER PAN!LOL !!Blitz clump

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My iris garden is more like an iris farm. It is in my vacant lot and is in straight raised beds with an overhead watering system. Not at all attractive except that the individual plants are attractive. I do have them tucked here and there throughout my yard, but in the landscaped part of my yard, I don't have an iris garden.
Here is one of the places where I have them tucked in. This is the patio which is in front of my house and here is an area where I have planted Mary Francis, Meritage, and Sea Power -- accidentally color coordinated in shades of blue and purple.
On the other side of the tree is another clump of iris, not nearly so well color coordinated -- I put the short yellow and orange ones ( Awesome Blossom) behind the tall, purple one -- Diabolique. Hope to straighten that out this summer.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is where I put my irises while I am waiting to figure out where they fit in the landscape and while I did the holes for them in my rocky yard. It isn't very glamorous, I am afraid. It is actually some veggie beds that I ended up using for irises the last few years. This year I will be moving many of these into the landscape.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I have done the same thing with iris I got this year. Put in an old Veggie spot until I get a new bed dug. It might as well be used and is a great holding place.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, all those years of composting and preparing the soil have made a great place for iris -- I am getting my fresh veggies at the local farmers' market.

Art,
looking at your planting, I am thinking you will want those iris plants farther apart eventually. If you can spread them out, I would. It is amazing how large a clump of iris can grow when you are looking at that little trimmed rhizome.
As Lucy ( IrisMa) says, they would make it for a year the way they are, but probably will need to be moved then -- just when they are starting to bloom.
I really enjoyed seeing your gardens, dragonfly and polly. They are really beautiful -- something for those of us who really haven't done enough landscaping to copy.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Our TBI gardens are mostly just iris. Annuals will come up in the beds after the bloom season is over. There's a lot of green swords out there right now, without any iris blooms, but the green is pleasing to us ~

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

This was the start of a very small iris bed.
Older iris, but a young bed

Thumbnail by kassy_51
South Hamilton, MA

older irises complaining? Doubt it, they like new soil.

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

NO, I ment older Irises that no one can ID ............LOL
I know they like the new soil, they got moved again last year....have to find that picture though ^_^

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Moved to a different area and joined more Irises.

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely, krassy.

South Hamilton, MA

Lovely, remember to mark the different varieties in some manner when they bloom again.

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

iris, the yellow ones where my mom's and she is no longer around to tell me what they are, if she would have even remembered. But the fact that they where her's, I know they are old.

Gainesville, TX

Garden group of favorite historics

Thumbnail by sharondippity

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures everyone! I definitely have something to look forward to. I hear your advice about them being too close and will separate them further next year. As it is, I have so many blank spaces, but none really big enough for a true iris garden.
I had my first iris bloom in my garden this year - I believe the first was a Betsy Boo SDB, and then an old fashioned lavander followed by a couple other's from bert's co-op last year...and I'm just smitten. I can't wait for a full garden look! (Next year will be my 3rd summer in the house and I finallly get to see my perennials take off :-D ) Thank you all again - I'd be glad to see anymore garden shots if anyone has them!
Susanne

South Hamilton, MA

Note that your SDB is spelled Betsey Boo. I don't know why the second 'e' it was probably named after someone.

Gainesville, TX

I've seen Colo Springs.......your gardening options are endless

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is one shot...all historic Schreiner's.

Thumbnail by CHA
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is another...still historic Schreiner's.

Thumbnail by CHA
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Some more...

Thumbnail by CHA
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Historic blues...

Thumbnail by CHA
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

French Iris...mostly

Thumbnail by CHA
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by CHA
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My gosh Carlos, you have so many bloomstalks on those it almost looks like you picked a bouquet. Just absolutely beautiful!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful garden. Last pink iris photo is stunning. Actually all are, but love the color combo in the last one.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Cha those are simply stunning. Schrieners is a great source and some of the older ones need to be preserved. Love the 1st 2 with all the different colors. Have you ever tried Sib or JI's??

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Nope, haven't tried SIBs or JIs, don't really care for them too much, nor do I have the room! It's hard grow all the Iris I have in 30' x 140' lot!

Carlos

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.