ID Help

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I purchased this as W.S. Callick, which was shown as a bright pink. Obviously it isn't. Any idea what it is? It wilted the 1st three years I had it and finally this year came through. This was it's last chance and I was going to yank it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Delaware, OH

i am assuming this clem blooms a little later than most of your large flowered clems? it is a lady betty balfour. this clem can take a few years or longer to establish and likes to wilt back after blooming. as mentioned it is a late bloomer...don't give up on it. the flowers are long lasting for this time of year and every year the plant will get more stable. i have about 4 of them, in ground for between 4 and 5 years this year they acted a lot better and so many more blooms.
what i like about it is the fact that it blooms later than many of the large clems. i fell it takes over after the president is finished blooming as a key note feature in the garden! it can climb very high and be loaded with blooms as high as 6 to 8 feet up. i have had reasonable amount of second blooms in sept if it wilts back after blooming in july. as we speak 2 of mine have finished, one of those 2 has gone brown and been pruned off. tow are still in bloom and looking pretty good considering the buggy muggy conditions in the garden right now.
lady better balfour is a great clem!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks CG! Glad to know what it is so I can take care of it correctly. It did flower much later than all my other ones, which is kind of nice. I think my blooms are about 6 ft. up. Now that it finally succeeded in living through a summer I will definitely keep it. Thanks for the ID.

Delaware, OH

i guess the start up time is what keeps it from being in broader distribution. it is really a great addition to the collection however, due to the later blooms. glad you made it thru the bad years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.