Start thinking Sweet Peas!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

For those who have not had much luck with Sweet Peas here in the south, I discovered you have to start them in the Fall .. I'm already in the process of trading for some seeds and will be starting them around the end of September. So If you want Sweet Peas for next year, now is the time to start thinking about them

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

That's good to know. I thought they just wouldn't grow here, or I just had a Sweet Pea "brown thumb". :)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They don't last long but they sure are pretty. I plant mine at Thanksgiving.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I just soak mine for a day or two then plant them in a large unprotected container and promptly forget about them until they get tall enough to want some support which is usually around February. They love hard freezes and don't even blink.

Remember that hard freeze we had last year at the end of October? My guys were just itty bitty seedlings barely out of the cotyledon stage .. didn't phase them at all.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Tropicman in Wichita says if you dead head them they last a lot longer .. I'm going to try that next year.

X

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

That makes sense because they make large pea pods which would rob the plant of energy. I missed most of the flowers this year because I was away for much of their blooming period.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Well if y'all can get sweet peas to do well there, I should be able to do the same. Dang it, I said I wasn't ordering any more seeds! All your fault, lol! Seriously, thanks for the info. I really do want to try them for however long they'll bloom. Could be that they'll do wonders for the spot where the b. Tangerine Beauty takes a while to flower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.