Salvia Alborosea (?)

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

This gorgeous salvia has flowered 8 weeks since seeds were germinated. The seed was collected in Peru and was 3years old when sent to me, 1 seed germinated and this is the result, a gorgeous two toned salvia.This was the name on the seed not 100% sure if it is correct.

Thumbnail by annette68

Another pic

Thumbnail by annette68
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

So Lovely! :)

I saw a picture of this on someone's flickr website a week ago and loved it. I googled and couldn't find much info or a source for it though. I'm glad that it's being cultivated.

The other photo that I saw made the flowers look more maroon, but either way it's beautiful! Congrats!

Yes the person whose site you saw the pic would have been the source of the seed lol. it is sublime!!!!!!

Candor, NC

annette, is seed still available? After checking the Field Museum's scanned herbarium sheet, it may be an annual, so keep an eye out for seed.

Candor, NC

Here is the URL for the on-line herbarium specimen of Salvia alborosea

http://fm1.fieldmuseum.org/vrrc/?page=view&id=26691&PHPSESSID=b85...

That sure does a lot like the plant that I have, it has just flowered so will be on the lookout for seeds, will let you know Richard one way or the other, guessing how quickly it flowered than you could be right in thinking that it is an annual. It is a gorgeous salvia though.

Candor, NC

I'll bet it will become a favorite of our hummingbirds as well. I'll pass on the info to some fans I know

Hitchin, United Kingdom

I've been a lover of Salvias for some 25 years now and the genus still keeps revealing to me mouth-watering new plants to excite the senses - be they original species or recent hybrids. Thanks for showing me yet another, Annette.

So, here we go again, chasing down yet another to add to the collection. Of course, after this chase, I will look forward to the next.

Jim

I am with you Jim, too many salvias and not enough time lol to grow them all;)))

Salvia Involucrata 'Boutin' is now blooming down under.....

Thumbnail by annette68

The Salvia alborosea wins my vote for cool sage of the day, Annette! I'd be happy to trial grow a seed or two in Delaware!

Joseph

Hi Annette, did you ever get a seed crop from this beautiful plant?

Joseph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.