Fertilizer

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

http://www.clematisexpert.com/ Has anybody tried this? Genuine or snake oil?

pajonica

Delaware, OH

i'd like to hear back on this too. i bought one recipe form someone in new zealand on the internet a few years ago for 17$. i have posted that recipe on threads here several times this year. i know some others here on the threads have a similar recipe. if you can not find it, e mail me and i will send it or post it again, it is not at my fingertips.

i find the one i bought sometimes useful or peakish clems, sounds like this book has other recipes too.
hope you get some feedback about it,am interested myself. let me know if you want mine and can not find it!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Hi ClematisGuru I've been researching this sort of thing all day, seems there are a good number of household
products that are useful as fertilizers, Among them are things like Epsom salts and milk. The recipe this guy
is advertising is clematis specific and caught my curiosity. I am going to see if I can find your recipe, save you
from posting it again.

Thanks

Jon

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Is this the one?

marymyers
Poulsbo, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 03, 2009
01:38 PM

Post #6772986

I hate to admit what a sucker I am, but I saw this ad online about a miracle organic clematis fertilizer, and yes I paid $20.00 to get the "recipe". What do you all think of this recipe? Should I use it?
1 can beer
1 cup epsom salt
1/2 cup ammonia
2 cups water

Mix together and add 1/2 oz to 1 gallon of water, feed every 2 weeks.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Hi pirl, I think that may well be it. I thought it would be a good idea to check you guys out before buying!
From looking around on the Internet I have discovered that these among some other household items do in fact work. Others include powdered eggshell, milk, tea and coffee grinds, mouthwash, even!
20 bucks sounds a bit steep for that recipe though! LOL. besides I can think of a better use for a can o beer. Drink it an the clems a bound to look better!
Cheers.

Jon

Delaware, OH

i will double check mine, i think is is SLIGHTLY different but very similar.

epsom salts in water can be effective. i do not use milk or other uncomoposted foods as they can attract bugs as they rot. i do however, compost everything from the kitchen and small green, non woody yard and garden waste along with some leaves and grass clippings. this compost is useful in soil ammendment and as part of top dressing when mixed with aged manure.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

A consideration of Alaska Kelp & Fish Oil would be more to my liking. One tablespoon- two tablespoons per gallon of water given with weekly watering.

As to the above home made issue..........."What a waste of good beer" The rest of the stuff would never go into my soil by choice.

Delaware, OH

docgipe, i see your point. i have not poured any wine into my plants and DO NOT intend to! hahahahah

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Doc, you can always buy the real cheap beer for your clems, if there is a cheap beer anymore. While we're on the subject of fertilizer, or what's good for our clems, I've been wanting to ask something else. A while back, someone advised me to put coffee grounds around the base of a clem that wasn't doing well. I can't remember exactly why. If coffee is good for clems, what about the gallon size Lipton tea bags I'm using every day? Both have caffeine. Maybe it's not the caffeine that helps. I learned on the pepper forum last yr to use chamomile tea to feed my pepper seedlings. I have a lot more tea grounds this time of year than coffee. Now, is that a dumb question or NOT? I just had to ask.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know about tea, but coffee grounds are supposed to attract earthworms. Maybe there are other benefits too maybe keep cats away?...atleast that is a nice smelling addition to the garden

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I think cats would like coffee, it'd keep em awake all night! ^_^

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Not a thing wrong with tea leaves, the bags and the paper tabs. They all rot in due time.

Delaware, OH

sharkey our tea bags and espresso coffee pods go into our compost, along with all other kitchen scraps and trimmings. i understand they really add a lot to the mix. but haven't used grounds separately.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I just got a bag of Gro Power flower and bloom that I ordered from High Country, as recommended by CG. Now, can I go fertilize now. I cut all my babies (and they are all new clems this year) back in July. Most are sending out new shoots, no flowers yet. Can I use the Gro Power and about how much per plant? Thanks so much for advice. Mary

Delaware, OH

mm, couple of tbls per clem, spread around the base, but not on the stem an then water in well.
you will like this fertilizer. american clem society recommends it, which is where i found out about it. i ha used it for 3 or 4 years.

i am testing the gro power liquid also diluted down and used with a miracle gro watering sprayer. too soon to report results on that yet.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you so much for your quick response to me, CG. I am out to give the "spoonful of medicine". We finally had a little rain. We have one of the driest summers on record for the Seattle area. We love our rain here!

Delaware, OH

my pleasure. love to see these quality products being used.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.