Austrian Pine Turning Brown

Hainesport, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi!

I planted a 6' Austrian pine about 6 weeks ago. It was doing well. Today I was looking at it and a lot of needles are turning brown (some on the trunk and the branches). We've had a very wet spring/summer.

Do I need to be concerned or could this be transplant shock?

Thanks!
Emily
(New Jersey)

Danville, IN

Austrian pines are more tough than many other pines. If it's losing needles near the trunk, it might be just transplant shock. Sometimes, newly planted trees shed a portion of their needles earlier in the fall (even as early as late summer) than normal. Austrian pine needles usually last 4 to 8 years before yellowing and dropping in early fall. Loosing interior needles (close to the trunk) this time of the year is no cause for alarm. However, you should not be loosing more than a fourth of the tree's needles by winter.

Hainesport, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm losing needles on the truck and branches. When I touched some of the branches, the yellow needles easily fell out. More needles are turning yellow now. We had a lot of rain this past weekend – not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Should I move it to a new location? It gets lots of sun where it is and I was careful to dig a hole big enough for it. I'm worried I'm going to lose the tree.

Danville, IN

I wouldn't move it as that might stress it more. If it's in sun, that shouldn't be a problem. Can you provide a photo?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.