Looking for a real blue phlox

Medford, NJ

I had thought there was a phlox forum here at Dave's, guess I was mistaken.

In the early summer I bought a perennial phlox that was labeled as blue. It finally bloomed, and guess what - it ain't blue. It didn't even have the decency to be lavender. What I have is just another shade of pink, though I will admit that it's a cool-toned pink.

Are there any truly blue phlox? I am not talking about the creeping, spreading, ground cover type, I mean the 3 ft tall plant that reseed and comes back every year here in the northeast. I have several shades ranging from white to dark pink and would be happy to trade seeds with anyone who might have a true blue colored phlox.

thanks

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I do not think there are any really blue tall garden phlox. The bluest one I have is 'Blue Paradise'. But it is only "blue" early in the morning light then gets redder toned as the sun gets higher in the sky. The other thing with this one is it does not look like a happy healthy plant most years and this year with all the wet weather is positively miserable. The other one is more lavender than blue and is a very happy variety 'Franz Shubert'. I would be happy to send you seeds but I cannot guarantee that it will look like the parent because there are many colors all planted together and most seedlings do not reliably look like the parent plant. Here are some pics. First is BP.

Thumbnail by ngam
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Here is Franz. I like him very much.

Thumbnail by ngam
Medford, NJ

Oh, how sad to hear. I was hoping that somewhere there would be some blue phlox -- We were so disappointed when the new one turned out not to be blue.

I will have seeds of:
*David (white)
*some pinks: Bright Eyes and Eva Cullum
*an unknown magenta pink (if the deer don't eat the last plant)
*the new pinkish lavender that I thought was blue

What I have on my want list, besides anything blue, is:

*Starfire - cherry red
*Franz Shubert - lilac with dk purple star (is that what you have pictured above??)
*Laura - reddish purple white eye
*Becky Towe - variegated foliage!
*Sir John Falstaff - salmon pink

I also love that dark purp. Blue Paradise you have pictured above, would be willing to chance some mystery seeds!

Maybe in the fall we can exchange some?

Jen

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I will send you some seeds if I can get them before the birds or if we don't get floated away by fall. It is raining like mad again. Send a dmail later this fall to remind me and give your address okay. I really don't need any seeds the ones I have seed all over as it is.

Medford, NJ

ok, thanks!! - maybe I will have something else you'll be interested in in the fall. I'll be in touch -

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Have this one........

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This one...

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Not sure but this might be 'Nicky' or 'Blue Paradise'...I have both.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

another.......

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Laura'

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

last one for now.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Medford, NJ

oh, they are all pretty. That is the best pic I have seen of Laura! I wonder if the second pic (the red/dark pink) is Starfire?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

There is one in the new Spring Hill Catalog..
Caroline Vandenburg
(not that I'm recommending buying from them)
http://springhillnursery.com/caroline-vandenburg-tall-hybrid-phlox/p/53280/

Medford, NJ

thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.