Unwin's Dwarf

Kannapolis, NC

This year for the first time I planted some UD seeds and they have done great! My question is do they form tubers once they are growing and will they overwinter like the tubers do for me here in zone 7? Or are they always grown from seed?

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

I have some started from seed last year that I saved the tubers over winter. They did great. Started some more this year. Didn't know what to do with all the dahlias. I think I will just save the nicest colours this fall. Some get taller/bigger than I expected. You have a nice one there.

If the tubers get big enough and dahlias usually overwinter in the ground for you, these should too. At least a good percentage of them.

Kannapolis, NC

Echoes: TY for your response. I also have a yellow one that is growing next to this one and it's doing well. I have a couple in other sections of the yard and they actually grew larger than I was expecting, so I probably need to move them around. But this is good to know. I love dahlias and they overwinter well for me, so these UDs are great plants to start from seed instead of buying those expensive tubers.

I'll post some photos of my others later. They are really quite lovely.

Angie

Kannapolis, NC

One of the yellow UDs:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

A bicolor UD:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

I also have a white one, but no photo. I'll try to get that later.

Question: If I plant seeds of the various colors, will they come true from the seeds? E.G., if I plant seeds from the white one, will I get white UDs, yellow from yellow, etc?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The Unwin series do form tubers! As for seed I'd be willing to try and see if they come true but I'm a big skeptic where seeds are concerned since they aren't true clones at all.

They're always the first to wake up for me. Here's a photo taken March 1st, 2008 and you can see they must have sprouted before I ever got to open the bag.

Thumbnail by pirl
Kannapolis, NC

Pirl: I love dahlias, second only to daylilies! I know the DLs don't come true from seed, but I think I'll sow some of these UD seeds and see if they come true or not. It's the only way to be sure of getting the color you want and need in a particular spot, other than potting them up until they bloom and then planting. That's rather too long, IMHO.

Most of the tubers I buy for planting, though, are already sprouting, as you said.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We buy the seeds from Agway, a northeastern feed and nursery store. For $1.69 we get more than 30 plants. Can't even get annuals in flats that cheaply!

Kannapolis, NC

Dang, that's excellent, Pirl! Nothing like that down here. All we have, besides mail order, is Ferry Morse, Burpee, etc., at Lowe's or HD.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.