Has anyone lost tomatoes to Late Blight?

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I am reading horror stories about rampant late blight this year. I was in the tomato forum and it seems to be a real issue here in the Northeast.

I grew all my tomatoes from seed but with the rain and winds I am worried about anything my neigbors may have planted from the big box stores.

I sprayed all my veggie plants with Funginol but I would hate to lose my tomatoes this late in the game.

Thumbnail by bookreader451
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I started my tomatoes from seed and haven't seen a problem. My potatoes are a little funny looking, but it's not blight, just rambunctious slugs by the million....

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

The slugs and earwigs are horrid this year. I have been fighting a losing battle all season

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is an article from the boston globe today
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/07/31/disease_that_spawned_irelands_potato_famine_hits_new_england/

i have not had blight yet this year as i have sprayed my plants with a product from ortho that i posted information on previously on the edibles thread. the stuff works and i will not be going without in future years.

i'd post a link here but can't need to go mix a another batch and spray now - works on hollyhocks and other plants that get fungal diseases too.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I am spraying with Bonide Fungonil and keeping my fingers crossed.

More downpours today :(

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

No tomatoes lost here. I haven't got any fresh tomatoes yet, either - but one is turning pink!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine have been fine, but they are still green. Hope they turn red soon.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I got my first red tomato today! yippie . I hope they don't get late blight . I have sprayed them a few times with a product I got from the rose man down in carver ma , it is called "green cure " . considering the amount of wet , humid, rainy weather I have not seen any , yes I said ANY! signs of powedery mildew which is always a problem on my bee balm and phlox . I have to give credit to the green cure even though each time I applied it it rained shortly after , it must have helped . now I am jinxed

North Augusta, ON

My tomatoes are fine although no where near being ripe!
I do have tons of mildew on the phlox and monarda...

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I haven't seen any Late Blight on my 'maters--grew them all from seed, and maybe this protected them?
I've harvested four small red ones from my heirloom Stupice tomato vine--so far, these are the only ones that have ripened!

North Augusta, ON

Maybe that's why mine are ok...I bought seeds of heirloom varieties and grew them from seed...

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine are still green. I hope they ripen soon.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

the first tomato of the summer is always the best. The taste we've been waiting for....

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I grew all mine from seed too. I am just worried about anything blowing in from the neighbors who didn't. So far so good. As long as I keep spraying I hope all will be okay.

I am loaded with green tomatoes and if the sun ever shines I may get a decent harvest.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I start all my tomatoes from seed, too. There is a little early blight but it's not a real problem.
One friend up the road has lost most of his except for some heirloom varieties he started from seed.
My next door neighbor has some of my plants and some store bought, They are all in trouble.
I don't spray.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.