Ghost chicken

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I went out to my orchard last night to check on my free range chickens. They have an open coop on slippery aluminum posts about 6 feet in the air so varmits cant get to them. I have had them for 8-9 months with no problems but recently something has been killing them. I think it is an owl or one of those Mexican Eagles that are all over my property. Either way, I showed up yesterday to check on them and to get eggs and two more had been killed. The sad thing was two of the chickens ran up and tried to get into my truck. They really wanted out of there. They hid in the tailgate and one jumped into the cab. I felt so bad that I decided that if they jumped in, they could come home with me even though we dont have room. Well, they did. The last chicken hid in a pile of brush and wouldnt come out so I left.
I woke up this morning and the chicken I left behind was in the neighbors yard. I felt bad about leaving it behind last night and I thought it must be a ghost chicken. The weird thing is I saw the chicken in the brush as I was opening the gate to leave and it was about 150 feet away. It had to had run 150 while my back was turned and flew into the tailgate. All of this in about 15 seconds.
Oh well, they are home and safe.

This thread has 22 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!