The big Pool-to-Pond migration thread. :)

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

We started this discussion in my thread requesting info about backyard permaculture. It was suggested that I use my little hot tub for a fish pond, since we're not using it as a hot tub.

So, here's the idea.

I have a little square hot tub. I checked, and it's about 5X5 feet, with a 2X2 or so deep section that's maybe four feet deep, and the rest being about two feet deep. I'm including pictures.

The suggestion was that, instead of having an energy-devouring, heated hot tub (which we don't use, breeds mosquitos, and is generally a pain in my rear), we try putting little fish into it and make it into a part of our backyard ecosystem. We're going for permaculture ideas - a yard we don't have to maintain other than a few prunings or chop-and-drop mulchings and so on, and a place that makes lots of food for the family.

I don't even know where to start, although I'm learning. Here's the hot tub picture.

Thumbnail by sevidra
This thread has 24 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!