squirrel collecting twine

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This is the frame to a former screened porch. I had some garden twine tied to the crosspiece and dangling down for some flowering vines to climb up. I walked by and notice that all but one of the twine had broken at the crosspiece, which seemed sorta odd, but I figured it had been rubbing in the wind or something, oh well.

Then the squirrel came back. (She runs across the frame all the time.) She gnawed through where the twine was tied at the top, then reeled it in (about four feet) with her little squirrel hands. Then she stuck one end of it in her mouth, and started looping the rest of it into a nice neat bundle for carrying. (She's almost done in the photo.) Then ran off across the roof.

?? We've been having serious serious drought/heat here, so a lot of animals are eating things they don't normally eat. So at first I thought maybe she thought it was some kind of vine or something she was going to gnaw on. But when she rolled it up, ?? The only other thing I can think of is that she thought it would be nice in her nest, but it seems like an odd time to be making a new nest, plus there is tons of nice leaves, twigs, grass/straw etc on the ground. (See drought, above.)

Any other ideas?

Thumbnail by realbirdlady
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Whatever her intentions, she's very clever to gather it up like that rather than trailing it after her and getting tangled!

Milwaukee, WI

She or he is making a nest. Many of our young teen squirrels practice during mid summer doing just that making nests. At present we have eight nests in the garden- mind you many are not so well constructed--hence the practice and yes they will be selective--we often place green jute for just that--it is extra soft compared to leaves--and works great for the lining. Robins also enjoy the jute.

Did you know squirrels also like to trim trees. Apple trees, pear trees, cedar trees, maple trees, etc.. After years of watching wildife--we have noticed one or two of each family is responsible for doing just that--trimming trees. And yes you guessed right--for the nest, for the nest! Nature is amazing!

P.S. love the picture! Keep telling myself more pictures--but I have found it difficult to do except when it came to a hawk (arrive shortly after the lost of a love one this time with the sunlight from the heavens and !)-less then two feet away-amazing!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OK, that makes sense. I guess I never knew squirrels practiced nestbuilding, but that would sure explain why, when the leaves come off the trees in the winter, there are so many sloppy messes up there. I guess I never managed to figure out that most of them were unoccupied.

This squirrel I thought had a litter this spring. The nest was in a really sprawling live oak, which means it was easy for cats to run up and get the babies. She definitely didn't take the twine there. So maybe she is experimenting with a nest in a more upright and secure tree.

Gosh I don't even remember the last time I saw a robin. Weather is really grim here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.