Iris questions from a newbie

Denver, CO

I don't have time to read all the stuff on irises so hoping someone (or several) can answer my questions. I live in zone 5 Colorado. Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers (although not this year).
I have many iris, 2-3 years old. They are planted in several small "plots", only one of which gets a good amount of sun, the other 2 areas are in partial shade. When they bloom, I only get a few blooms and some have never bloomed. The foliage is outstanding and appears quite healthy.
Is the lack of bloom being caused by (1) being planted too close together, (2) being planted too deeply, (3) too little sun, (4) other factors? I have
Also, I have been given several healthy rhizomes early this week (4th week of July). I do not have time to plant them now. How can I store them and how long can they be stored? I would like to relocate all the iris to a dedicated iris bed. What is the best time to transplant?

Thanks for your help!

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

You need to get your iris planted 6 weeks before frost, so they have time to start growing and put down some roots.
Can you put them in pots until you get time to plant them?
Now is the time to transplant. Last of July, first couple of weeks of Aug for zone 5.

Too much nitrogen can cause lack of bloom too. Lack of sun would be my best guess. If you aren't getting good bloom by the third year - move them.

Generally speaking, the first year, you may get 1 or 2 stalks of bloom however no bloom is more common. Several stalks the 2nd year and the 3 year you should have a nice clump of flowers.

Sometimes they just don't like that spot. Try moving them to a new spot in your yard. I have some that won't grow in my front yard but love my back yard. And vice versa.

Denver, CO

Thank you Adobe Rose for your info.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Also, they may not bloom if they're planted too deep. Best if top of rhizome is exposed.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Planting too deep is one of the most common reasons for bearded iris growing -- also all the reasons Adobe Rose named. The rhizome needs to get a little direct sunshine. Iris will take some shade in our high altitude gardens, but not too much. Only experimentation will tell you how much is too much. There is no easy way to measure shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.