Amaryllis quandary

Bradford, United Kingdom

Well it's a quandary to me.
I have an amaryllis, and rather than forcing it, I am letting it do it's own thing. I move it in and out of the sun as it seems to need it (it's indoors I don't think the uk would be viable for it to be outside). Most years it flowers about february, this year it decided to flower a second time in June!!
I only have the one, but it decided to grow a seed pod and having read a lot of what's been written on DG, did not expect seeds to be viable, even if it set them. So here I am with a seed pod full to bursting with seeds and don't understand how it has manged to do this. Every one of them them has a discernable bump in them so I assume they are viable. Is it self fertilizing? From what I've read they aren't. I'm including a pic of the flower...
How do I know which Amaryllis it is?
How has it made seeds?
Volric

Thumbnail by volric22
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Many Hippeastrum are self fertil.Plant the seed and enjoy the babies.They will not necessarily look like the parent .

Bradford, United Kingdom

Don't worry I did plant the seeds first. Well floated them. I thought if I used the water method I'd be able to see what was happening.

Mesa, AZ

Congrats on the second blooming. Just means your bulb is quite happy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.