ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #159- Let the Harvest Begin

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1013699/

Slowly but Shirley or is it Lavern.. the crops are coming on.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pat LOL! at the mirrors!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread. What are we gonna do without Dusty?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dusty will still be here.
Just not Here.....

Set a # on replies and we'll change around there.
I have Super High download so I don't aways see a lag.
Let me know if you need to change threads.

Here's a better shot of the 'boo we planted yesterday.
Today we got 2 1/2 barrells and an 18" pot more in the ground.
3 more 1/2 barrells should do it.
Hope we get some rain as the ground there is pretty dry.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It's all gorgeous, Ric. I like the fact that there's almost always a happy pet in the pictures!

Bonnie, we have a lot of dogs around here, but they are pets, & most of them spend the night inside. Our dog, of course, is small, diabetic, and blind, so I doubt that she'd be a real threat, LOL. Oh-- congratulations on getting an internet provider that doesn't quit every time it rains... which it is doing here right now. It's not on the radar screen, but it's here anyway.

Pat

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all! I found you!
Ric...looking good!
It keeps trying to rain here...but nothing really happening. Looks like we did get a tenth of an inch overnight.
I have been working on a bed alongside of the barn. First I dug up all the daylilies there...and there were a lot more than I thought..lol. I even missed a couple. But they were just full of quack grass...so it had to be done. Then I sprayed roundup on the grass. It killed most of it. Now I am slowly digging it all out. Those roots are everywhere! I will have to go back over it once I am done...and sift through to see what I missed. What a job! My daylilies are in buckets of water...waiting to go back in.
Kimberley...my dr put me on a nasty cough syrup that had Hydrocodon in it. It helped a lot...but I hate to tell you..I still have a cough...just every now and again. And when I start..it's hard to stop. Hoping you get over this soon.
Well we have to go to the Farm Bureau this afternoon...and show the deed to our house and land...and sign some papers. I don't really understand it, except it will help our farmer in some way? Then..on to Wally. Got a call...that the last check I had written there....was the same one I had written before???? The cashier didn't catch it...and neither did I?? Weird...and again..not sure I understand..but she said I needed to come in and write another check! You know..they give you back your cancelled check...and I guess I must have put it in my checkbook. I have been using bank counter checks...because my checks hadn't come from where I order them. Anyway...we will get it straightened out.
Can you believe...I sent an order in for checks...on June 30th...and just yesterday..received them????? This has never happened before...and when I called them...the lady said...well they were mailed out on the 15th of July...so should be coming. Nothing I can do now? Call me back if they don't come by next month!!! I asked her how I was supposed to pay bills!! Geesh! Think I will try another company...and I have been with this one for years!
On another note...look at my post on the recipe forum about the pork chops I made last night! They were wonderful!!!!
Have a great day all!

Good morning, I have been canning beans this morning. I have 2 canners on and will need to do another 2. Gonna have 24 quarts. Sheesh, I sure underestimated them last night when we were breaking them.

We had rain starting last night about 9, rained all night, and we had 1.8 inches. Water standing everywhere. DH volunteered to go to the grocery for me this morning, while I was fooling with the beans, so I will not have to go out today at all. Just for Bible study tonight.

Marcy, want to come dig in my daylily patch? Year before last, I covered each daylily, as they were coming up, with a large coffee can, or with a 1 gallon bucket, and sprayed round up on all the weeds. It worked, DH was just sure that I had killed every one of them, but didn't.

Well need to tend to the pressure canner, 1 down, and 3 more to go.

Waddy, KY

The next Saturday that the sun is shining the sprayer of Fusilade is coming out and Johnson grass and quack grass are going to get drowned. And if it's not dead enough in another month I'm going to do it again. Then we're going to start on the broadleaf weeds. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! I've had more weeds this year that I've had in the last 8 years. I'm guessing it's due to the wetter summer.

I'm behind in planting my second crop of potatoes. I'll probably plant them but I don't know if they'll make anything. I hate to loose my $22 dollars by not planting them though.

Canned 14 quarts of beans last night. Stuck another 6 in the fridge because I wasn't staying up into the wee hours. I've got a kettle of beets to do tonight and probably another 2 kettles that I haven't washed up and cooked yet. I need to make some corn relish but can't seem to work that in. Should have retired when I got the chance....NOT! Better keep money coming in where I can....

I hate to send anyone else to the grocery because it ends up that they call me 5-10 times whenever they can't find things or for some reason can't make an independent decision on their own. I thought I raised them better than that but apparently I forgot to clip the umbilical cord...

Killed a steer a few weeks ago and man oh man he's pretty tasty. Kids cooked a couple steaks last night and there was nothing left over. We also processed a couple into burger and are selling it at the farmer's market. Things just keep branching out.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We have a new member at Daves and the ORVG.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1019965/

Mau (Marsue) dmailed me a bit ago and said she would be steering her this way.

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't be shy Sheila....jump right in!

Pond progress...

Thumbnail by joycet
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, Cookie... that's lookin' great!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

The pond is looking great Joyce! Those waterlilies sure do spread, don't they?
Well folks...I had some bad news here today. A great niece of mine is on Facebook..as I am. She had written late last night that her grandpa was in the hospital and it didn't look good. Well..that's my brother...the one that had the bladder cancer.
So I immediately called my SIL. The girl had it wrong. He isn't in the hospital....but they had gone to OSU hospital to get the results of his tests that were taken two weeks ago.
He found out he has bone cancer and liver cancer.
My SIL was very upset...so I didn't ask too many questions. She did say he goes Monday to a cancer dr in Dayton...but they don't know yet what he will have to say.
She said my brother said he was ready to die. He also woke from a dream...and asked her if they had picked up the corpse yet! So she doesn't know what he is dreaming or thinking.
Any prayers will be appreciated.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

(((((Marcy & brother)))))

Marcy, I am so sorry to hear your news. Sending t & p's for God's comfort for him his DW and for your whole family. This is news that no one wants to hear. I sure hope that he makes the most of his time he has left.

Joyce, great looking waterfall. Do you want to come design and install one in my back yard. It would be perfect as the yard slopes, and I could hear it when I am on the deck.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

((((Marcy))))
Fingers crossed!

We have seen Joyce's pond in person.
It's sweet!
Look just above the bottom ledge.
She had a hollow built in for sound resonance.
And it sound GREAT!
By RU time it will be magnificent.

Well we did manage to get in about 4 hours of work outside during a rain lull.
The whole back fence row of Black Boo is dug up and repotted.
I don't think I ever remember a more humid 4 hours.
We were wringing wet and suffering from a serious case of Clay Foot.

Looks like we'll have seven 1/2 barrels (28 gallons) and two 15 gallon pots when all is said and done.
Not bad from an original 3 gallon pot 5 years ago.
It is for sale too so......

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone.
Thanks Darius, Bonnie, and Ric. I appreciate it.
Well..I am going to work outside today if the rain holds off. It's looking kind of cloudy right now...and Dave just said he wasn't sure that the rain was going to hold off until this evening like 'they' are saying!
Well..need to get busy..bills to do..grocery list...all that good stuff waiting on me.
Have a great day!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Morning all! Had a nice early start with deadheading and weed pulling. Sure is easier when it has rained. I also dug a couple of pretty plants that I thought was "something" and ended up being weeds. Don't you hate when that happens?

Sounds like Dusty is ready to go.... :o(

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Far from it...Still tons to do...The back of the house is finally finished, but the kitchen is not...I do have the big pantry empty, and the basement is finished...Few things in the garage to finish up...Sunday will be cleaning day....Internet, phone and TV goes off sometime tomorrow, so it will be a long weekend...

Marcy, you and your family are in my prayers...

Bro...I might want a chunk of that Bamboo...does it spread fast if its not contained?

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone! Sorry to be gone so long but it's been a wild year so far. We had sewer line problems that resulted in the front yard being essentially destroyed, so that's taken some time and anguish to get through. Plus some other things that sorta just ramped up on me and sucked all my time/energy away. BUT, I'm getting one foot back in front of the other again, finally, so I wanted to pop on and say Hi to everyone :-)

Hiya Robyn, a late happy birthday to you. Saw it the other day, and that reminded me you hadn't been around for quite some time. Sorry for the problems, but if you find a sure fire way to avoid them, you are going to be a rich lady.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ooh, sorry about the sewer line and ruined garden, Robyn. :( And about your brother, Marcy.

I'm heading out the door to work in a few. I'm glad I was only scheduled one afternoon this week. Still, after missing hours last week and the week before, I'm so glad to have something on a paycheck, and it'll be nice to see everyone. The rx cough syrup with codeine has been a true godsend - I've been able to sleep!! Yay!! Can't take it during the day, but at least the coughing's much better until evening comes again.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL - if I find a way to duck those things I'll be sure to post it here!!

One of the things we lost when the sewer line issue came up was the 35+ year old Japanese Maple in the front yard..sigh..it's now either firewood at my sis's, or chipped into mulch and back on the front yard. My consolation prize was a Contorted Locust from my sis - which I didn't know you could even begin to hope to find locally. It's now happily living in the front yard - NO WHERE NEAR any of the sewer lines :-) She found it at a nursery clearance place between her and Louisville: http://www.nurseryoverstock.com/

http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/shrubs/Robinia_pseudoacaciaLaceLady.html

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

In for a break here.
Hiya Robin! Hope things go better for you now. Sorry to hear about that Japanese maple.
Thanks Dusty and Kimberley.
Get the cards out Dusty...for the weekend..lol! Hope things go well for you and Jim too...and that you love your new home!
Well...not getting much accomplished here today..like I wanted to. That is some s-l-o-wwww work out there.!! And I guess you could say..I am a slowww worker too...lol.
Ok...best get back to it!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the birthday wishes - and Dusty and Kimberley I hope you two had great days as well :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

More Rain today!
Since we emptied the gauge on Tuesday we've had 1 1/2".
We had JUST replanted the last of the Black Boo at about 2 PM when it started raining again.
By 4 the sun was out.
It's raining all around us hard! Here it's just sprinkling so far.

We're under a flash flood watch till 8 AM.
Lightning just starting to show to the west...

BUT after Clayfooting for most of this week the prep is almost done.
We still have one small clump of Yellow Boo to move.
Then some barrier to put down but that's a minor job.

After the rain started we made a trip to Lowe's for some wood.
So we are ready to start building... Probably by noon.
I was hoping to start first thing but...LOL!

Everything from the corner of the Deck to that left Blue Pot to the corner of the Fence was Boo covered.
Notice the sweet working conditions.
Today at least it was a nice quick no rock or root dig.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Tell me Ric....is it hard to get all the roots from the bamboo? I really know nothing about it, as I have never grown it....but I've heard some of it will 'run' everywhere. So will you have...like shoots of it come back up that you missed? Like the quack grass I am anticipating?? LOL! Just wondering?

I have never grown bamboo either, have been scared of the reports I have read about it. So Ric this is a great opportunity for you to educate me and Miss Marcy. I love the look of it, but.......

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

First off Dusty I didn't forget about you.
The Phyllostachy nigra would be a bit dangerous to turn loose in GA.
Down there though you can get away w/ many Clumping Bamboos.
They won't grow here.
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/GrowingBamboo.htm#Georgia Recommended Clumping

Marcy, Bonnie and All.
All of our Boos save one are evergreen.
All Run.... and the deciduous one walks
Esther and Bob have dozens of them and none are barrier-ed that I know of.
But they have a rather unique growing space.

The bigger the bamboo the easier it is to control.
15-30' grasses have BIG runners.
The runners are in the 1" wide range so they are easy to spot and w/ a spud bar fairly easy to pop out.
Plus they don't throw many runner roots.
The plants themselves are fairly shallow rooted, maybe 12-15" deep.
A 24" deep barrier slanted slightly away from the 'clump' will turn the runners usually.
The slant causes the runners to come above ground where you can just snip them off.
Plus the big Boo roots don't like air... when you transplant it has to be fast.
Any roots left exposed die quickly.
We take clumps about 6" wider than the clump we're moving and 12" deep on the Yellow,
8" on the Black.
Have the pot or hole ready and quickly plop them in.
The Black or Phyllostachy nigra is a rather slow grower compared to the Phyllostachys aureosulcata ('Yellow Groove' or Emperor's Bamboo)
Smaller at about 18' in our area.
Dovey grows P. nigra but it's marginally hardy and I expect they get some serious die back.
Yellow Groove is hardy into Michigan and we have 1 1/2 - 2" canes at 24'.

It's the little Dwarf Runners that are a pain to keep in check.
W/ them you have to basically get every root.
And being small their roots are hard to find and can get thru VERY small spaces.
An 1/8th" crack is all they need.
I've seen the run thru drainage holes in pots covered w/ 1/4" mesh.
You dig them out..... wait a year.... then wipe Roundup on the shoots you missed.
Then the next year..... etc.... LOL!

Here's P. nigra ready to go.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Thanks for that lesson Ric, still will have to consider it. I have 29 acres, and will have to plan where to put it, so that I don't have to worry with it spreading so fast. By the pool is a definite no no!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Robyn, Good to hear from you again! I love twisty trees, but are you sure the locust tree roots won't wander too far? I ask because I'm still, after more than a year, digging up roots, suckers, & shoots from a large locust that was starting to heave up the driveway. EEEEEKKK!!!

Dusty, I don't envy all the packing & moving ahead of you. ((((all your hard work)))

I keep trying to get out & take pictures of the few plants that I have that are still standing, albeit in water, but it just keeps raining. I dash out & pull a few weeds, get bitten by thousands of skeeters, & then duck back in. Maybe I should make the yard into one big bog garden?

Pat

Hey gang
finaly got T and I out of bed LOL way to much to catch up on *blush *
Robin so good to see you posting
sorry i have to make it quick were heading out the door for white corn , peaches and beets then to Kettering to get my ring fited due to my weight loss .
Yes Bonnie i know a dog would help LOL i think our goal is next spring ? .
things are good here so i just wanted to check in and say "T and i are finaly done catching up and alive " LOL
Pat next year is a deer fence for sure ! wish i did it this year but budget wouldnt' let me :(
time to go i m getting the look LOL
late
sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue there are many Deer Barrier options.
Many quite cheap.

Have fun in Kettering!

Here's a link to all the Williamsburg Garden Tour shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157621777155536/

Pat we're about flooded out too.

Off to pick beans!
On a raft! LOL!
Ric

I am straightening the house, company expected later. Since DGD cleaned on Tuesday, it is just pick up, and clean the kitchen floor, after my canning this week.

It rained again last night,I think we are up to about 3 inches, and water is standing in many places. Don't know about outside work today, will just wait and see.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The rain gauge says 1 3/4".
We just picked beans in 3" of standing water....lol!

You think it's to late to get another planting in?
We're growing 'Tenderettes' and we've gotten 3 GOOD pickings so far.

Ric

Ric, I would go for it, all you are gonna lose is the cost of seed. One year we planted late beans and later taters, about the first of August, and they both were great.

Waddy, KY

It's not too late for a last planting of beans, squash, cucumbers. I've got a bag of potatoes I wanted to plant 4th of July and they're still sitting in the basement. If it dries out here in the next week they're going in the ground. They're gonna ruin sitting in the basement so they might as well rot in the ground. LOL! I'd love to get my turnips and kale in the ground too. I'm supposed to be picking up broccoli and cabbage transplants this weekend. I guess they'll sit on the porch until it dries out. Right now it's even too wet to pull weeds....

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all. Thanks Ric...for the lesson on the bamboo. Guess I don't want any..lol! Don once sent me a small one that I put in a pot...but it didn't live. Don't remember what kind it was?
Janet...thanks for telling us what we can still plant. I'm gonna get some cucumbers in. Dave loves them on his sandwiches..and don't like to buy the ones in the store unless I have to!!
Well..it's Wally world day...ugh! But...we have to eat....at least..that is what I keep telling myself..lol. I did sit down and make a menu for the week. I think that is going to make things much easier for me. The one thing I hate about cooking..is trying to think what to have! If it's there in front of me..in black and white...I have no problem with fixing it.
I looked on the internet and found some menus. Picked out things we might like...and going with that for now. We'll see how it goes. I just get so tired of the same ole stuff!
It rained here last night..but not much. Just kind of a drizzle.
The other day they said Greenville...12 miles away..got 1 1/2 inches. We got none! It was raining hard in Richmond and Eaton late yesterday afternoon...we got NONE! So it seems to be rather spotty around here.
Ok..you all have a great day..!!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey all! I'm with you on the nasty roots Pat - I put the thing a good 10 feet away from any semblance of a structure, including the driveway. Talked with sis this morning, her rain gauge was just under 4"...her pastures are so wet she can't drive her gator out without making foot deep trenches with the tires.

We've got a new neighbor next door. The young couple who had lived there moved (he got a job further north, so they moved to be halfway between jobs). The new guy seems nice but the movers are still unloading so I expect it will be a day or so before he surfaces. I gotta ramp up the oven and bake him something as soon as we wheedle out of him what he likes :-)

Waddy, KY

Marcy, that's based upon a first frost date of October 10. If your first frost is earlier than that you could plant but it could be bit. Fall cucumbers are usually so good. Crisp and rarely bitter.

hey folks
not much here
but we are busy
freezing corn today
got loads of weeds to pull in teh garden and get the tomato plants out and the potatos that have blight .
Ric i just didn't think of deer eating tomato plants ??? and the didn't bother my garden last year so i didn't think of it ?
lost a pumpkin to vine borers will get some Sevin tomorrow
T is building a little thingy out by our culvert . will take a pic
good to see everyone
sorry i am MIA but with T here we keep busy
bless you all
and (((()))) to you all
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.