Can you ID?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

found this seedling growing through one of my roses. here is a pic of the stem. Kinda odd, seems to have "wings"

Thumbnail by vossner

stem closeup

Thumbnail by vossner

closeup of leaf

Thumbnail by vossner

closeup of leaf underside

Thumbnail by vossner
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'm pretty sure that's an Ulmus. We have a large old American Elm on the next street that has tons of suckers with the "wings" and the leaves look simular.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Probably Cedar Elm (Ulmus crassifolia) or Winged Elm (Ulmus alata). Those are the two "wingiest" ones in the eastern US, and could certainly occur in TX.

Winged elm blooms in the spring. Cedar elm blooms in the fall, and has stiff and rough (scabrous) foliage.

I think you have the Cedar Elm.

thank you both. VV, I think it is a cedar elm, which is a native TX tree. I wasn't able to pull the entire tree off my rose, maybe tomorrow I will try to do that and plant it somewhere. While googling, I found it is susceptible to disease, so I'm not entirely sure I will keep. The bark is most interesting though.

thanks again for your help.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The bark will sure generate conversation, especially in winter when leaves are off. The branches make for great diversity in dried arrangements.

It can obviously seed itself into gardening zones, so you might look for an out-of-the-way place for it (maybe off your property, if you have restricted planting locations) where it can do its thing for as long as it graces this world.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.