Possibly Relocating Camelia

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I have a rather established camelia (was there when I bought the house) that I imagine is probably around 7+ years old. I will add a picture tonight, but it's about 12 feet tall and about 6 feet in diameter. It produces blooms twice annually, and is a beautiful specimen in my yard. Unfortunately, it's in a bad place, in that I have preliminary plans to expand my fish pond and deck, and would really like to use the space the camelia lives.

Can anyone provide any input on how they grow in terms of roots (deep, shallow/spread out, etc.) that may help in deciding if we will attempt to relocate it? Also, is it possible that a nursery or landscaping company might be interested in purchasing it? Or is that merely a "fairy tale" scenario only played out on HGTV?

Thanks much for any suggestions anyone may offer!

~~ Jennifer

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Jennifer,
As far as selling it, you would have to know what the variety was. If its just a run of the mill no-name one, I doubt they would drive out and dig it up for free even. Sounds like you have decided you can do without it so I would suggest you just start digging away at it all around. You will likely need some limb cutters to cut the roots and maybe a saw but you can do it a little bit at a time. I dug out a 20' sweetgum last year so I could plant a dogwood where it was.

Take a couple of pictures of it with you standing beside it and take them to Homewood Nursery - they will give you good removal advice.

Paul

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks much for the feedback. I'd love to incorporate it into the yard in another location. I'll follow up with the nursery to see what they think.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

People that grow trees in the ground for sale have the long narrow shovels (Lowes & HD sell them) and go completely around the tree in a circle about 2' from the tree (I think) and wait about a month or two. The long roots have been cut off but the tree is not totally disturbed and new roots start growing within the root ball. They can then go back and dig under the tree and pull it out. They would wrap it in burlap for transport but you wouldn't need to do that.

I am not sure but I think you would want to move the camellia in the Winter. I would move a tree then but since camellias bloom in the Winter, they may be different. Help, somebody that knows! I would also do a pruning job before trying to move something as big as you described.

Please let us know what the nursery people told you.

Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.