Suggestions

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I need some suggestions. We took that Bradford pear tree down and hubby won't be getting around to do anything with that area anytime soon. He's adding extra parking with stone.
In the meantime I was able to convince him to let me keep a 4' deep area(even with the gate so that he can get easily into the backyard) that widens to 10' of shade area that is still there. I have some shrubs and ground cover that I need to plant in there so that's not the problem.
The area where the tree came down is now a huge empty, super hot area with spotty weeds. Looks HORRIBLE. I can't plant anything there since hubby is just going to cover the entire area so he can put a work trailer there.
What do I do with it in the meantime???
Let me know if you want a pic of the blank weedy space, so embarrassing so I didn't post one.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
South Hamilton, MA

Stick a pot of something in flower on the tree stump. It can be moved when your DH wants to work in the area. Pot with trailing plant?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The tree stump was ground so it's just all sawdust..

Thomaston, CT

How much of the space do you want covered? Pots of EEs will block out a lot-----so will pots of butterfly bushes---you can plant them later.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Could you cover the area with ground up leaves, shredded bark or even straw. You could get some bales of straw and in another week or so should be able to get some nice pots of mums to arrange on them. The bales will give you some height and the mums some color. In the fall you could add some pumpkins and make a nice fall display with corn stalks, scarecrow etc. Everything is pretty cheap to buy and no big loss when it has to go to make room for the trailer.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It's a huge area15'X20'. I need to do something before my daughter's b-day party August 15th.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

swing set?

Thomaston, CT

Our grocery store had pots of large sunflowers---they looked very nice.

New Boston, NH

Ngam your idea is excellent and can be modified if she can't wait for mums hanging baskets etc are REAL cheap now.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Swing set is already in the back yard.
Now, if I can only get hubby to go pick up some straw.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh brother, with this horrible weather I'm never going to get this project done in time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.