Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought it was time to move us over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1009899/

Rain/Rain and more rain...

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Have you ever seen so much rain...

Had quite the weekend..travelled to Collingwood to the Elvis Festival..had loads of fun, more fun than I've had in years..going to tell you that next year this old gal is going to get a room and enjoy all the weekend festivities...

Half way through the 6hr. venue I think the sky opened up, everyone was in awe, never have I seen so much rain...even Elvis had to take a break...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks for moving us over, Betty :-)

who's the good looking guy hugging you?

edited to say: OH it's Elvis! I thought it was someone from your family that looked like Elvis lol

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 12:39 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

I had photo taken with many of the Elvis, got seats right in front of main stage..quite the entertainers....Switzerland, England, Australia but the winner was our own Elliot Lake performer Thor..got to tell you, had you not known you'd have thought he was elvis...what a showman..made it even nicer that he won....

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sat with his wife..my goodness she was a good sport..I told her I was impressed that she could laugh when so many of the women were pulling him apart..she said 'here he's Elvis, but then he comes home and he's my Thor'..she actually gave me her e-mail..sent her a congratulations this morning for his winning...

Time of my life..got a lot of dancing done and a woman from London Ontario took a liking to me, wouldn't let me be...lol..why, who knows..she was under the impression that I'm quite the entertainer myself..wonder how she got that feeling? lol

It's her 12th year at the festival, told me she and her husband would be meeting me same place next year...too funny

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy I even got myself some Elvis sideburns..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

This morning's blog post from Jeff...

Day 12 - Cambelford

I've paddled in extreme heat, pouring rain, lightning, 40km winds on my back, at night, 60km days, big waves, strong current, mini rapids, you name it. I would take any of the above 10 times over not to have a repeat of yesterday (ever).

30-40km wind straight into my face all the way from healey falls to cambelford, it was exhausting and by far the toughest stretch so far. It was a short distance day, only around 10k but it took close to 5 hours to do it, painfully slow and felt every paddle stroke. Should have been and hour and half to 2 hours with good conditions.

I would go twice as fast if I didn't paddle but it was in the opposite direction, tough tough tough. Early on in the day I passed a fisherman and asked if the canal to cambelford was nto the wind the whole way, he said I'm going to say no cause that's what you want to hear. Had a good laugh with that one.

Left healey falls just before 10 after having morning coffee with the lockmaster, these guys are great, got through cambelford between 2:30 and 3:00 and was thankful. The canal through cambelford is really cool, runs right through town. Hanney falls is another step lock and the view is spectacular, good plave to stop, was going to go another 10k but had enough.

I literally got my camp setup and the thunderstorm rolled in, only lasted 10 minutes and the was extremely hot and sunny again for the rest of the day.

I now have a travel companion, my brother and sis-in-law showed up around 4:30 with kayak in tow to drop of my nephew for the rest of the trip. We unpacked everything, lockmaster was good enough to open the private road so we could drive down instead of carrying stuff down the 71 stairs, yup kyle and I counted em last night.

We then left into town to do a little shopping and get tims while kyle straightened up, you could tell he just wanted to get in and try his kayak, as good adults, we make him wait.

Get back and put the kayak in, exact replica of mine but in yellow, good boat. We name it "minnow", coffin II just didn't seem right. He start out for. First paddle in this kayak and does great job. I put mine in and paddle for a minute with him too. My brother then goes out in mine for a ride, sorry bro they don't make those cockpits any bigger. I should have known better though, going to have to be cleaning back hair out all morning now. Inside joke and couldn't resist.

Mel my sis-in-law also takes a few laps, I think she just wanted to see how stable because she is sending off her 14 year old in it.

We do a test pack and. Parents leave around 8, just us kids left. We make yummy dinner and then head into tent, we talk for awhile then kyle goes right to sleep. He snores! I ping my brother and tell him thanks for mentioning that up front.

Rained a little last night and a little overcast this morning, hold off rain. Having breakfast then we are packing and setup for day 13 for me and day one for kyle

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good for your DS to keep right on kayaking, Betty! - keep up letting us know about his trip - he's a real trouper (listening to Kyle snore lol)
Day 13! wow - guess he's really won his $$ on that bet, eh?! How much longer is the trip?
Take care, Betty - he'll be home soon, snug and warm :-)))
I'll keep him in my thoughts & prayers :-)

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

WOOOO HOOOO Betty .. YOU ROCK WOMAN !!! I think it's just wonderful you went to the Elvis Fest and had a BALL !!! Some of those guys really do a great job of impersonation .. whereas others, well , you can sorta tell they're there for the fun of it ..

DAWG .. Kyle must be so excited travelling on the water with Uncle Jeff .. despite the SNORING LoL

Thanks for moving us over .. I have just spent a MOST frustrating time trying to post an ad online for my Ford Taurus .. we are going to let it go .. there are just too many vehicles here one truck, and 3 cars .. I sure hope it sells quickly .. I spent time putzing with it today .. washed it .. and .. dontcha know .. just after I got the stuff put away .. BLAST of rain for 15 minutes !!! Still needs to be well vacuumed out .. my hands won't go there I don't think .. but .. I'll try ..

Off to make supper ..

Cheers all

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" did you get your car cleaned and vacuumed...if you did, mine is ready for you to take on...

Leaving Thursday night for my 10 day vacation, wondering which night between now and then that I can find time to clean my car....

Jeff just posted on his day...

Georgian Bay to Lake Ontario via Trent Severn Waterway

Monday, July 27, 2009
Day 13/1 - lucky number 13

Who said 13 is an unlucky number. Had breakfast and packed up both kayaks. By the time we set off the sun was shinning and clear skies for the majority of the day. Perfect.

Only problem was the silicone seal between the cockpit and rear hatch on the "minnow" was well... Not there, any water that got into cockpit was going into rear hatch. Had to shuffle all the stuff around so all my waterproofed gear was back there, Kyle didn't have much time to pack so his stuff would have been drenched, not good. Downside is I've perfected my packing system for myself and know where everything is, or was, now have no clue anymore, we just stuff things wherever they go, paying no attention to which kayak or hatch. Off we go just before 9.

Kyle struggles a bit at first but picks up quickly, not long into the trip I am playing catch up all the time, ok I stop to text message along the way but when I look up he's 200 yards ahead. Funny moment, at one point I'm up ahead and waiting, don't hear his paddle hitting the water and yell back, "I don't hear any paddling going on back there", his reply, "I don't hear any paddling going on up there either", pfft sarcasm? Wonder where he got that from.

I had originaly planned to paddle to percy reach which is just over 7k then see how he is doing, we have to cross a lake (last one) and the next lock is 18+k away and he was tired or conditions bad, we would call it a day there. Made great time and go to percy reach at 11:30, seeing as we had done 3 locks which burned about an hour, we made great time.

Stop for lunch and at about 12:30 we head off down the 18k stretch to glen ross, skies are for the most part clear with a storm cloud off the the right. Wind was nice and behind us all the way, meant we didn't have to paddle hard to make good time. I keep an eye on the storm cloud to be safe.

Waves pick up a bit to about a foot and kyle is having fun riding them, I stopped worrying about him about an hour ago. Normally very talkative, kyle just paddles away and we chat now and again as needed. The lockmaster told us there was a bald eagle flying around somewhere and we spot him soaring above just as we finish the lake, how often do you get to see that. The fish are also jumping and there are lots of birds, cool that kyle gets to see some wildlife.

We have been resting along the way but with just over an hour left we get out and stretch and have a snack. Kyle no longer needs help getting in or out of the "minnow", he's an expert now. We set off and I can feel temp drop quick, he paddles over and I put up umbrella just as rain hits, we don't get wet.

While he never complained once, at this point he starts asking if the lock is just around the next bend, I say yes, opps maybe the next one, 3-4 times of that and he stops asking, I know he's getting tired but is a trooper. We finally see the lock, rain starts again, up with umbrella again, passes in about 15, sun up. We get to the lock at 4:30 and un-pack, won't miss the nowhere to pull kayak out syndrome. Lockmaster helps lift out with me. Thanks bud.

We setup camp then go for ice cream, relax for a bit then cook dinner, I start the stove but he has to cook his own food, gives him something to do. Why didn't I bring ravioli, looked good. We finish up dinner and as I type this he is fishing off the pier. Told him I would clean and cook what he caught, please be trout, please be trout!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

LOL...love reading his posts! ^_^

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

In from the Chamber Music Festival. I heard two good concerts by the New Zealand String Quartet. One this afternoon was aimed at kids but was delightful and this evening was sublime. They finished up with the Dvorak Piano Quintet (which has some of the nicest viola melodies in the whole repertoire). For that, they teamed up with Anton Kuerti.

Tomorrow, I start as House Manager for a 10:00 am talk/concert by a Belgian musicologist. He was here last year, and while rather opinionated, he's very interesting and knowledgeable. He'll be giving talks tomorrow through Saturday and I'm HM at all but Wednesday. Means I'm out the door to the bus by about 8:10 tomorrow morning.

Also tomorrow, I'll take in parts of two other concerts and then work as Head usher on an evening concert. Off hand, I don't remember what the concert is, but the entire schedule is up at http://www.chamberfest.com/en/festival/

Ann

Sounds like everyone is busy .. most especially Ann .. I LOVE Dvorak, I can imagine it was an absolutely beautiful performance.

Well Betty .. looks like your boys are nearing the end of their BIG adventure .. needless to say Jeff will be buying some Ravioli in the future .. my son used to LOVE the stuff when he came home from school at lunchtime ..
If I were closer, I would come over and clean your car for ya :o) I wish you the best vacation ever ^_^

Sad news for us. My cousin (second cousin) passed away yesterday .. Tom was 60 .. liver/bowel cancer. His Mom passed away in April of this year, so, this part of my family is rather hard hit. He leaves his wife and 4 grown children .. one boy and 3 girls .. as well as 4 sisters.
Am awaiting news as to when the funeral will be.

Off to have tea with my friend whose sister arrives from France today .. I imagine she is 'IN FLIGHT' as I type this.

Looks like we MAY have some rain in our day .. and .. the wind, which had taken a brief hiatus, is BACK !!

Take care all

~M~

This message was edited Jul 28, 2009 8:37 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann, have to say even "I" would have a difficult time keeping up to you and that's saying something..

Thanks Don, told him I was posting it, best he could say was "MOM!" lol

"M" sorry to hear about your cousin..family must be devastated to have to deal with 2 deaths in such a short time...do they live near you or will there be travelling for the funeral?

Wish this rain would head your way..on my way in this morning the sky opened up again..overcast and wouldn't doubt it will rain all day...am praying it doesn't follow me to the USA...

As for Jeff, he'll be at his goal 'Trenton' today but he has decided to do one more day, do the Bay of Quinte and soak his toes in Lake Ontario..it also gives Kyle 3 days of Kayaking...

This morning's message...

Day 13 continued

Pressed send too early.

Hats off to kyle, he did over 25k today and that is amazing, longest day he has, we do about 16 tomorrow.

Only 22k to end of trenton then the last stretch across bay of quinte, down murray canal and into lake ontario on day 15 to make this official, at which point I'm going to go home have a shower, shave , sleep in a bed for a change, turn on tv and watch 2 1/2 men then put on my motocross gear and hit the track to burn some fuel and make some noise.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - so sorry to hear about your loss of your cousin......The family must be devastated......

Betty - soon, girl, soon.......your Jeff will be home Yaaaaaaaaay - finally you can breath!
Now that it's almost at an end, I can say that I'd be having Kittens if it were my child on this "romp".............. I guess you're sighing a big sigh of relief!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was until I read he's going jumping and racing on his motorcycle this weekend..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

OH - out of the frying pan into the fire, eh? What a lad!!
Is his nickname "Evil Kinevil"? (sp)

Victoria Harbour, ON

He's no young man....39..maybe he's trying to do all he can till he turns 40 and starts to age like the rest of us...lol

Thanks for the condolences everyone.
The funeral has yet to be set, altho now I am thinking it may be Friday, and, it is here in Thunder Bay. I know it'll be a large funeral as the family is large , and Tom well known.

Well .. I did a laundry yesterday, and PROCRASTINATED about bringin it in, AND, it's still outside saturated !! We ended up with unexpected company for supper, and I got so caught up with cooking/tidying that I completely missed the HUGE downpour we got until it was too late... guess the laundry is WELL rinsed now !!
The flowers are saying "ENOUGH ALREADY"

Betty, I think Jeff is so like you .. he is active and wants to try to pack as much of LIFE as he can into his days. Better to WEAR out, than to RUST out .. I read that saying somewhere and always thought it a good one to remember ^_^
When I am in 'couch potato mode', it pops into my head and usually gives me some incentive to 'git up and git at'er' !

My granddaughter celebrates her 11th BDay today ..not sure what's in store.
Lilly has a groomers appt at 9am .. GROAN .. no wonder I'm always up so early !!

Enjoy your day !!

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. Sending Ts and Ps for his family.

Just checking in briefly as I'm off again on a bus shortly after 8. Dress rehearsal at 9 for a noon hour concert. This time, I'm stage manager and there will be positions to mark for several performers.

I had been assigned to be House Manager for a series of 10 am concert/lectures yesterday through Saturday except today. Someone else was coordinating looking after this musicologist and when I got there yesterday, he never stopped ordering me around though I was supposed to be HM. I told the festival that we don't need TWO house managers and took myself off that position for the rest of them. I WILL still go as an usher but I won't be in charge and can take a later bus.

Today is all stage end. The noon concert at a nice, large venue with AC and an evening concert. I'm thinking I'll skip attending the 3 pm concert and come home for awhile this afternoon. Looks rainy again. Yesterday was unusual - no rain all day.

Have a great day.

Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning...
"M" we've had rain now for a good 7 or 8 days straight, today is no different and other than Saturday they are calling for rain..not been a good summer for sure..as you say enough already..wish your grandaughter a 'happy birthday'

And yes, Jeff is more like me than Greg, Greg is so like his father in looks and personality...not sure which is worse, taking after me or their dad...lol

Ann, will you be able to get in a few days of rest once the concerts are over? lordy girl you wear me out..

Just went over to Jeff's blog..did some oh/oh's and some laughing..

Thought I'd share...Greg my eldest is leaving to pick up his son and little brother up at Bay of Quinte this aft. so should get to spend a few hours with them all before I head out on my vacation...omg not sure I left enough time to even hit a washroom...

Jeff's postWednesday, July 29, 2009
Day 14/3 - Trenton baby

We are sitting at lock 2 and 1km to the last lock in the trent severn waterway, 2.9k after that to the end of the trent severn waterway itself, also the point where I break the 400k mark on this little adventure. Short hop skip and a jump (about 3000 paddle strokes) across the bay of quinte, down murray canal, across the gap to the park in lake ontario and that's all folks.

Yesterday started off a little slow, I was up at 6 but my travel buddy slept in to about 8, teenagers, sigh. We had breakfast and just relaxed, took out time packing up camp and finally set off at 10:30. Absolutely gorgeous day and sun was out the entire trip, not a hint of rain nor a cloud in the sky. Wind on the otherhand was back in full force.

Took kyle about a half hour to wake up and had to coax him along a little, that first hour or so is always the worst. He said he was glad the wind was with us again, I didn't have the heart to tell him yeah, but only for the next 2km then we are straight into it for the rest of the day.

Now at this point I was pretty sure no more lakes until trenton, wrong, opened up to an 8km lake that didn't appear on my tiny little map. She was tough going, wind howling and 1-2 foot whitecaps all the way, kyle is an expert now and I don't worry about him crossing. I ask anyway and he says he can't even feel the waves, minnow works just as good as the coffin, same kayak so it should.

We try and find shelter closer to shore but the weedbeds are thick and get in the way of paddling, we go back out to the main channel and the wind. About 3/4 of the way there is a swimming dock offshore and we stop for a good rest. We finally make it across and get protection from the wind in the channel to the next lock.

About 1/2km to the lock there is a convenience store and I pull up and leave kyle tending the boats while I get us a chocolate bar sweet. As I'm coming back I see a cruiser coming down the channel almost on plane and throwing a big wave, can't make it in time to prevent, kyle from swamping a little, he was smart enough to let go of my kayak. Now I'm mad. Tell kyle to take his time and I'm going to go have a quick chat, I race to the lock ahead of him.

I politely ask the lockmaster if he minds that I have words with the people in the boat and he says, be my guest. Brilliant! The guy on the boat, driver, stays silent and I have a conversation with the wife in broken english, I tell her after 400km and 14 days they are the most inconsiderate boaters I have encountered, she said but we here doing the 10k max, I politely explain that the purpose is not speed but wake size to protect the shoreline and 14 year olds sitting in a rock lined 60 foot wide canal holding an empty kayak afloat. Husband wakes up and asks his wife what the problem is, she explains and he shrugs his shoulders. Well..... I smack the side of his expensive boat with my trusty paddle and wouldn't you know it, his english improves, go figure. At this point I thank my father, god bless him, for it is from him that I learned the 7 words you can't say on television, but in french.

Kyle paddles in and I say have a nice day, they went nice and slow to the next lock but we didn't have any nice weather conversations from that point on. As expected. It's now 1:30 and a few short locks to get through.

We get within 2km to our stop for the night and when we come out of glen miller lock the wind hits us like my paddle on buddies boat. Strongest wind so far and it's a tough paddle to say the least, we are both tired and just want to get out. At a few points kyle was moving backwards and still paddling forwards, I'm not moving at all. He finally chirps up, "I don't like wind", I concur. We finally get across and it's now just after 4.

One thing I won't miss about this trip is the lack of exit points for kayaks, this one is the worst. We figure our only bet is the rock lined 2 foot shoreline about 100 yards down, also lined with poison ivy, I could use the stuff as toilet paper but like his father, kyle breaks out from the stuff. We manage to get everything including kayaks out and over to camp. Much easier with two people that's for sure.

We are now on a mission, we were told there was a mcdonalds and tims just across from the lock, at the back of the lock there is a big hill you have to walk down and just as kyle says that's a big hill I, I slip and tumble down, great.

Normally you would walk under the 401 and up the road, there is construction so we have to walk about 2k in the ditch of the 401 and over the overpass. We are now in trenton proper. .

We see mcdonalds and have a big meal with all the fixings. I get two extra large coffee, one for walk back and one for at camp. As we get to the construction site kyle decides to tightrope walk the hay bails and slips, I dive to prevent the fall, with no success, my second cup of coffee is now on the ground, I turn around and ask kyle if he is ok.

We get back to camp and relax, I head off to the washroom and when I get back, no kyle, hmmm he says hi, I look up and he is on the third branch of this massive willow tree beside our tent, I explain we don't need a trip to emerg, wait till I cross the finish line, then if you want to, climb all the trees you find. Kyle crashes around 9.

Rain sets in around 11 and we get thunder and lightning, I'm the only one who hears it.

Looks overcast today and they are calling for rain, let's get this show on the road, breakfast, pack and paddle, then sleep.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

whoooo boy - that Kyle is .... hmmmmmm silly boy!
Nice that Jeff got a hot coffee TO splill. That's the 1st thing I would want lol
I'll bet he went right back and got another lol

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Getting a couple of hours rest now. check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZD8W2nO1lY

WHOA .. they couldn't have picked 'CHOPSTICKS' LoL .. just wonderful .. can't imagine the practice required ..
Hope you are able to catch a second wind with the afternoon respite ..

Betty .. what can one say about Jeff and Kyle .. except that .. Kyle will NEVER forget the experience .. Jeff won't either, but .. it'll probably just be so much more memorable for Kyle .. he'll likely be wanting 'the MINNOW' mounted on his bedroom wall LoL ...

Still no day nor time for my cousins Funeral .. I'll just hang tight .

Off to get dinner out

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann, enjoyed the video clip Ann however I had no sound..went and adjusted setting but still no sound..have to check my computer when I get back...talk about a keyboard..thanks for sharing..

"M" they should be arriving within a few hours...am sure they'll be like little kids who have eaten tons of sugar..lol...

Friday Kyle is on the way with mom and dad camping .. all are trying their luck up past Tobermory for scuba diving and looking for the ships underwater..another great experience...

Told them all that 1 Sunday before summer is over, if indeed we've had summer, we must all get together for a day..everyone is always going one way or another..want us all in one place at least for 1 day..

Jeff jokingly said, how about next weekend mom, oooops I'm away travelling south..lol..guess I'm just as bad as they are...

Maybe "M" they'll wait for the weekend before having the funeral..is there family coming in from out of town that they are waiting for?

Well, better go unpack my car...then see what I can pack up ready to leave tomorrow after work...

Good news, rain has stopped for today at least and it's turned sooo muggy

Victoria Harbour, ON

Bit of a headache this a.m. hoping it will go away..most likely excitement of having my boys home, about leaving on my own journey this aft. and the weather..of course it's raining..

Boys dropped in late last night..talk about being wound up..someone must have fed my babies SUGAR!

He did take time to post a bit about his day...

Thursday, July 30, 2009
Day 15/3 - The finish line

Big day, today I finish the trip I started 14 days earlier, seems like a lifetime ago but I can vividly recall each day, amazing actually.

We have breakfast and start packing up camp for the last time. My travel companion is definitely not a morning person, takes some coaxing to get him fired up and I keep telling him I really don't want to pack up in the rain, we get the first kayak down the rocks without issue and the rain starts, I don't need to say anything to kyle at this point and I think he can tell by my sigh I wished we would have moved faster.

We left Sydney lock at around 10:30 and passed under the 401, Andrew said it best, there are points on the trent where worlds collide and you can almost miss it if you aren't looking, 401 is pretty innocuous as you pass under it. Few minutes later we arrive at lock 1, trenton, pretty much a let down after such beautiful journey, lots of vandalism and the chevy dealer across the street, once through the lock you pass the paper mill spewing some nasty odors into the air.

We get to the Bay of Quinte at around noon and it's flat like glass, perfect, weather has been perfect all day so far. The jets from the air force base are flying around and you can feel the vibration in the kayak as they fly close over us.

We cross in an hour and enter the murray canal, skies are still clear but there are storm clouds looming to the north west.

Minnow is slowing down and figure he is getting hungry. Stop for lunch at 1:30 and we are off again by 2:15. Second last time getting into kayak and last time cooking by little stove, really wanted those ravioli.

With only about an hour left in murray canal the rain sets in, we put on rain gear and keep moving, I get a text from my brother and he has arrived to pick us up.

We reach the end of the canal and I'm texting to figure out where to meet brother on the other side, kyle rushes past me and I'm like wow, fastest he had paddled in three days, then it dawns on me, he is trying to beat me into lake ontario. Oh no you don't, I kick it up a notch but he's got a big lead. It's a literal race to cross the end of the wall and we are both trash talking, it was a photo finish but hats off, he beat me by less than an inch according to the guys on the pier. Haven't lived it down since then.

Takes a few minutes to figure out where my brother is and we finally sync up and head in the general direction of gosport on the opposite shore, few k away. We stop at our navigation aid, a huge channel marker, great photo opportunity. Finally got word from my brother, he could see us and texted to tell us it was no time for a break.

Arrive at gosport just outside of brighton at exactly 5pm. Stepped out of kayak for the last time. Walked over and shook Kyles hand for a job well done. There wasn't much fanfare, I didn't expect ticker tape parade but is a tims coffee to much to ask? And where is my free toaster? Packed up all gear into truck and loaded kayaks.

While bro strapped down "coffin" I went for my first swim. Washed up with biodegradable soap and we were off, 5:30 and heading home.

Toronto at 7:30 and stopped for quick bite, we arrived at swift kayak at 9:30 and locked up the kayaks as we had arranged for after hours drop off. I give my little kayak a little pat on the way by and am rewarded with my fist mosquito bite of the trip, let's get out of here.

I stop in at my mothers for a chat, let her know I'm back safe then hop in my truck for the few blocks to my brothers place, felt weird to be driving but the hot tub was calling me, did it feel good.

Now lying on couch watching tv and just relaxing, good to be home but miss my tent, open spaces and spectacular views.

The last few casual days (for me) really let my body heal up, I feel perfectly fine now, not bad considering what I did. I only lost about 10 pounds, surprising seeing as I feel heavier and was burning between 3,000-5,000 calories a day.

Tomorrow I will pack up and head for home and my bed!

I will be doing a few reviews and a final summary tomorrow then putting a nail in the coffin for this trip.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good morning,

Anyone else have trouble with the sound? Works well on my machine; so I don't know why Betty's not getting sound.

Working three events today - usher at the morning talk and a concert at the same venue back-to-back. Then and evening concert as house manager. Learned the ropes of stage at the newest venue last night. Mind you, it will likely be different next year. It's a former large catholic church that is being converted into an "arts and humanities" centre. Renovations are going on all the time, but it's going to be spectacular and the sound is wonderful.

Last night was a baroque concert - a vocal group along with some baroque instruments. the sound was NOT amplified and carried clearly into the balcony (not used by the public as the rail doesn't conform to legal heights), but a staff member was up there. Lovely concert and it made a nice break from the string quartets and similar groups that I've heard several of already.

Looks like we might have a day w/o rain. We have already broken the record for the most rain in a July and are a whisker away from breaking the record for the most rain in ANY month.

Have a great day.

Ann

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Gosh Betty, I am sure gonna miss your boy's posts. Very enjoyable. I feel like a know him now. lol

So that's what it takes to lose 10 lbs. Yikes...maybe I'll stay, ahhh...chunky. ^_^

Thanks for sharing. Tell him for me...WAY TO GO!

Have a good trip yourself. At least your not paddling...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Will do Don..he was gabbing last night about 3 or 4 adventure possibilities for next year..none which I approved of lol but that's a mom..boy talk about being wound up..

No I'm not paddling but OMG I'm doing a driving marathon..from Buffalo tomorrow morning to Cincinnatti..then off to Nashville, have about 6 things planned, thank God some start at Midnight..lol then on to Memphis..Beale street here we come, then staying a Shars (Sharron) in Kentucky then to St. Louis and then Chicago then home hopefully for a few days rest...

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

My goodness, that IS a marathon. Don't wear yourself out now. Looks exciting though...enjoy!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - Jeff's right - where was his timmie's coffee? Ticker tape would have been nice, too lol
I need to lose more than 10 lbs, but that's Not the way I'll do it hahahaha
You're right - it's a mom's right to disapprove of sonny boy's activities, but it's sonny boy's right to do it anyway lol (after a certain age, of course!)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well he certainly is of age Susan...don't care though regardless how old they are as long as I'm alive they are still my babies..

Talk about humid here today..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ah - just like @ 55, I'm still the "baby of the family" lol
Until I was 40, my siblings used to call me "The Kid"................. siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
It was only on my 40th b-day that one of my older sisters said "omg! you're the same age as some of my friends!!" and it finally sunk in that I was old enuff to be considered adult LOL

I'd love to share some of your humidity (not take it all, tyvm - I used to live in Winnipeg & got a humidex of 50c on some days wheeeew!!) We have humidity of 36 today....

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm off...
Keep safe

Keep chatting until I can find a computer...tks

SHOOOOOooooooooooooooooosh !!! Am kinda shakey here .. had a HUGE, grandiose, horrible and awful thunder/lightning storm this afternoon .. some claps of thunder SHOOK the house .. had hail as well .. Lorna feels she MAY have lost some of her flower beds at the cemetery .. quite the afternoon !!!

Wooo Hooo .. nice to read that Jeff and Kyle are back on DRY (well sorta) ground .. I would have thought a brass band and ticker tape was not much to ask for LoL ... AND, a TIMs of course !!

Keeping Betty tucked in my thoughts as she travels south .. she worries about her kids .. now here we will be worrying about her ^_^

Ann .. the Baroque concert (with vocals) would have been SUCH a nice break from all the instrumental music .. we have a group called 'Consortium Aurora Borealis' here in TBay who will do concerts like that.
Enjoy yourself as much as you can ..

Having a FRESH roasted chicken for supper .. my bud who has a farm (small hobby) sold some .. smells good .. hope it tastes as good .. I kinda 'KNEW' most of the chickens and am hoping it's not one I kinda thought was cute !!
OK OK .. I know .. I'm nuts !!!!

Cousins funeral is not til next Wed .. has a grandson enroute home from Afghanistan .. he'll arrive Saturday .. but .. as it's the long weekend .. well things have to wait it seems ..

Hope everyone is safe and happy ^_^

~M~

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 5:20 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sounds like you've had a wild day, Marilyn, and more-to-come!
Will have you in my thoughts on Wed.....

Yes, Betty will be in our thoughts as she globe-trots lol

Your chicken makes me think of my neighbour's "Drunken chicken" on the BBQ lol - y'know the kind that's BBQ'd on a beer can lol

Susan

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh Ann I just caught that video and a couple of other similar ones. As somebody who has played that music on the organ I can sure appreciate what they did! Neat!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Dang it's hot in my neck of the woods. 36C again today. And not a raindrop in site; have had to resort to the ole' garden hose for the daily watering for quite while now.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I posted a new thread - it's for my "murphy-bed style" of sewing cabinet that fits up against the wall, when not in use.

I posted it in Sewing/Quilting.

Don .. I watch the Weather Channel like religion it seems .. and an totally amazed at the temps .. PLUS humidity in the west .. and .. I worry about folks with no A/C. Today they were asking people to check up on the older folks they know living in their neighbourhoods.
Also said you MIGHT be getting a 2 to 3 degree respite soon .. trust me .. I wouldn't be happy unless he had said TEN degrees of respite !!!

After our 'mini deluge' yesterday, I hasten to say, that you wouldn't much know anything had happened in so far as there being LOTS of water laying about. It puddled up for a bit .. then the ground sucked it up like a sponge.
Will take some pics of the veg garden today as I am in AWE of it .. the rains have certainly done their job .. now we just need a teensie weensie bit of heat ..

On with VCARS today .. off to make some steeped tea .. have discovered that coffee just isn't cuttin it with me anymore.

Susan .. will pop over and check out your Murphy Bed sewing machine as well ^_^

TGIF .. hope everyone has a super day !!

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.