To move them or not to move them that is the question!

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have an enclosed balcony, that once I get my screen door fixed, will recieve heat from the house (can't leave the sliding door open now, because my cat will tear my plants apart.). Now some of my plants are directly on the window sill which I am sure will get a bit on the chilly side come winter. I have other varied plants a bit more away from the window. What should I do. SHould I move all plants of the window sill or just leave them there for now. I have varied peperomias, some spiderplants, and bunches of other things.
So any help you could give would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Holly

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Holly,

If it were me, I would bring everything inside. I have lost many plants in an area that got cold, but no frost. Remember that houseplants are tropicals (mostly), and they aren't used to the cold temps. It didn't take our cats too long to fingure out that they were not allowed anywhere near the plants :)

Trish- Dave's wife
whose house looks like a jungle exploded in it during the winter :)

LOL, trish, mine to shall soon look like a jungle. Thanks. I was originally planning on bringing them all in. It's just going to be a lot of work. I'm going to be placing artificial lights everywhere. My dh might not be to thrilled, but Oh well my plants must survive through the winter. Atleast I hope and am crossing my fingers that they do. Oh boy, fun fun fun. I can see the cat and baby right now going after them all!!!!
Thanks.
Holly

I agree,bring them inside' From another jungle dweller,love it too'

BTW when we had cats,I sprinkled some black pepper on the surface of my pots,left them alone'' Good luck' Sis'

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Holly,

I'd re-think this artificial light EVERYWHERE business. Not all plants want to grow all year long, not all plants can grow all year long & not all plants should grow all year long.

A little moderation might be something to consider. (Just one woman's opinion.)

P.G.
So What do you suggest? I'll give you a little list of what I have: Schefflera, Rubber plant(F.elastica), Yucca elephantipes, Croton, spider plants, snake plant, Neanthe Bella palm, Moses in the cradle, few cacti, tons and tons of succulents, peperomia, thats to name only a few. I am here to learn and want to know how to keep my plants alive. SO do you have any idea which ones would appreciate less light and which would appreciate more? I wouldn't give them the artificial lighting all day long. When the sun goes down here thats when the lights go out as well. ANy advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Holly

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Many popular houseplants are semi-tropical. That means they can withstand temps as low as 35 to 40 degrees without damage. I can provide you with such a list, if you contact me directly.

You really need a minimum-maximum thermometer (about $20)that will record just how cold it gets on your windowsill. That is the only reliable way to tell if your plants will survive. Otherwise you are just guessing.

Although there are some exceptions, most tropical and semi-tropical plants do not have a winter rest period and will grow all year long as long as there is enough light.

Will Creed
wcreed@erols.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.